Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Marathon Shoe Dilemma

An unusual midweek post for me.

Unfortunately I have picked up a gastro bug which had affected about 20 of my patients at a nursing home last week - pretty unavoidable to get it.

It's not too bad, apart from the gastro I just have some muscle and joint aches. I'm taking the running easy for a couple of days, but I've also had to stop patient contact 'til I'm better - my inner workaholic doesn't handle that well!

After reading Biscuitman's post I thought again re marathon shoes. All my marathons, including the trail ones, have been run in Asics21xx series - they are a known quantity. Wearing the 2140s for the first time on sundays long run I was immediatel reminded how comfortable they are, despite my foray into other shoes over the last 12 months.

Here are my options from current collection:

Mizuno Idaten 200g (too light and lacking support)
Adizero Mana 210g (a bit more supportive but more a 5-10k shoe)
Asics Speedstar 265g
Asic DS trainer 290g
Adizero Tempo 295g
Br0oks Adrenaline 330g
Asics 2140 340g
Adidas supernova 350g

The 2 adizero pairs were picked up cheap at Harbourtown today - I've been eyeing off the tempos as a midweight marathon shoe with reasonable motion control for a while now, and will probably try them at Darlington. The Ds trainers were my shoes at Matilda bay, but are old. The speedstars are similar and an option, whilst the 2140s are a safe bet.

The other issue is weather. It rained last year at Canberra. Previously the Ds trainers have really slipped in the wet and I suspect alot of the racing type shoes dont have great grip, so I'll probably need to take the 2140s in case.

5 comments:

Biscuitman said...

It sure is a dilemma - I think your choice re the Adidas Tempo is a good one. Would have got some myself at Harbourtown a couple of weeks ago but they didn't have my size (although the saleswoman tried to get me into a pair of pink/red womens ones!!)

If you are still looking the Ohana racers I got at Runners World are great value. $114 on the box but with discount $97 so not a big investment for an experiment. Similar in a lot of respects to the 21XX series which was also a plus for me. More mid and forefoot cushioning than the DS Trainers.

DC64 said...

If you're a mild pronator you could try the Mizuno Elixir ; it's a lightweight trainer - the size 9 (I'm a 11.5) is 273 grams. I use it for all my speedwork and tempo runs, and have chosen it as my marathon shoe... I think the Precision would not have enough support even though Mizuno say you could go the marathon in them. I chose the wrong shoe for Rottnest 2007 ( Mizuno Creation ; not cushioned enough )and paid for it with extremely sore feet for the last 8 k's or so.

DC64 said...

Meant to mention - the Elixir is very grippy ; I ran the Perth Half in them last year in pouring rain and massive puddles and it didn't miss a step.

Clown said...

Hope you recover quickly and back at it no time, maybe a chance for a mini taper before Darlington.

Let us know what the tempos are like, the pod has suggested I try some 2140's and Mizuno Alchemy as my next lot of shoes. So will interested what the diff is between the tempos and 2140's.

Otherwise, you could always go barefoot like a guy near us at Canberra last year went

trailblazer777 said...

interesting... looks like its a month for frustrating injury and sickness...
guess we all have to be patient and just hang in there waiting for the chance to step things up again...
I've requested a change to my availability at work so I can try and come visit intervals on Tuesdays at PL, so hope to see you there in the next few weeks...