Sunday, March 15, 2009

Challenging week

I was going to write difficult week, but challenging sounds more upbeat, and in the end, the running wasn't too bad.

When it hits, it all hits at once. I've noted the gastro already, which luckily only affected me Tues and Wed. More importantly, and sadly, my grandmother died on Tuesday night. It was expected, and in many ways a blssing, but still took it's toll and with family members flying in from o/seas and interstate for the funeral, time and sleep have been short. And of course this had to be the week where I was covering for a colleague on holidays, and exams have started again so spent 5hrs supervising exams yesterday.

Anyway, enough complaining. I'm healthy, and managed to fit in 95km running this week at 4:31min/k average. Most of the running was in the dark!

Mon am 10.6k@ 4:54 recovery
Tues am 10.5k@ 4:34 - the gastro started soon thereafter - had to skip intervals
Wed pm 9.4k @ 4:33 - looks better than it was - took 2 stops to slow down HR
Thurs am 10.55k@ 4:18 - 2x5k progression to 10k pace
Thurs pm 11.2k@4:12 - nighttime run knowing time would be short friday. 7k@3:55s plus w/up and down
Friday - no running. I really wanted to fit a run in somewhere, but with catchup work, airport pickup and catching up with family it didnt happen
Sat am 10.6k@4:36 easy-ish
Sun am 32.4k@4:36

Dragged myself out after little sleep (dont know how TB does those long runs on almost no sleep) and felt like a piece of poop. I was concerned by the forecast of 37, and already 22.5 at 530, but luckily things stayed around that temp the whole run, and the fresh breeze made it feel cooler. I ran exactly the same course a last sunday, trying to use those times as a motivator. I set out faster than last time, as I didnt have the oomph to run at MP later. Things went smoothly til Hale Rd at 25k - made it up the first hill fine, but ended up walking 100m of the second section. Once again I didnt have a gel (really need to get some in bulk) and again felt it after the 28k stop. I skipped a little final loop I did last week and shuffled home. Although the running time was a little quicker, last week the 2 breaks were about 2 minutes each, this week significantly longer, plus the walk up the hill.

So I cant really complain - for my 'bad' week, the running is fine. The first half of this week will be similar, then get ready for Darlington!

(AdizeroTempos - felt good but insecure/slipping at the heel- I'll try heel lock lacing next time. Speedstars felt great on thurs pm run. 2140s fine this morning, although a large blister due to the sock I think)

4 comments:

Clown said...

Sorry to hear about your grandma, my condolences.

Your average pace is getting quicker and quicker, expecting a big pb for you at Darlington.

homo said...

Even the expected can hit hard, our condolences on your grandma's passing. I'm sure being able to go for a run and contemplate things helped.

Otherwise, I am impressed by your training - as always!

trailblazer777 said...

yeah sorry to hear about the grandma, sometimes its good to take a few moments to grieve and remember the good things...

Still an excellent weeks running, especially given your commitments this week...supervising exams
hey...interesting...i think the whole long runs on no sleep thing is just something you get used, to, but dont recommend, it, not to mention it can be extremely dangerous driving home after that, as the battle to avoid falling asleep at the wheel, is a huge risk...I did 2 runs in the dark in the last 8 days too...be good when daylight saving disappears in 2 weeks time...

hopefully next week is a bit more cruisy, and we will see another stupendous sensational effort at darlington...

Sling Runner said...

my condolences.

I wore Adidas Tempo too for my long runs (my heaviest shoes). In this part of thr world, Adizero is very popular. In fact, I have almost a whole range of Adizeros (CS, Breeze, Mana, LT, PR, Tempo).