Sunday, March 22, 2009

Darlington HM 2009

1:23:06 - big PB, big confidence booster

The week started with me continuing drop my bundle with the funeral on Tuesday and family staying with us. I decided to cut the training and taper properly for the HM - no point trying to fit in runs at the expense of adequate sleep.

So it was 45k leading up to today, with just a Tuesday tempo of 7k@3:52 then 4k@3:55 as quality

I had put a bit of pressure on today's run this way, as there was no excuse for poor performance.

Conditions were perfect, fine, little wind and 10-15 degrees. My aim was to head out at a little harder than usual HM effort and hold on down the hills. Sugar was running a MP run after 35k yeaterday, so I thought I could hold him up the hill then pull away in the second half.

Usual fast start 3:46, then the 2 gravel kms 4:15,4:14
Quickly settled into a bunch 5th-9th led by Sugar, next 5k 3:55/4:02/4:04/3:59
At 8k I pulled away with another guy on a bit of downhill - 4:05/3:45 - 10k in 40:10

I had in my mind that it was all downhill from halfway but soon remembered the first couple had some up, 3:59/4:00/3:53/3:57. At 14k I was bang on 4min/k and felt that if there was any decent uphill from here I'd be dead - luckily there wasn't

3:47/3:48/3:46/3:54/3:44/3:43/3:45 plus change. I was passed by 2 guys down the hill, both with long strides and both disappeared quickly in the distance (and I thought I was running fast!)

I'd not really looked at my watch in the last 3k gravel as I watchd my feet and counted breaths to get to the finish. It was a big surprise as I turned onto the grass to see the clock tick onto 1:23.

This was definitely a 100% effort run on a decent taper, and is a big confidence booster for Canberra, which I needed psychologically. VDOT would equate this to a sub2:55 mara, which is less tight than prevous predictions.

Now I need to make sure this wasn't my peak race ( as was the case in '06 at FreoHM) - so I will try to make this week a 100k plus before starting the marathon taper.

42:34/40:32 up/down by GPS (42:54 turnaround on course - past halfway)
8:30 min PB on this course and big HM PB

8 comments:

Clown said...

Fantastic effort on the pb and really well desrved, you're on fire and looks gret for Canberra . May do long run on Sunday if you want to run with a slow coach.

trailblazer777 said...

Congratulations on a well deserved and sensational, outstanding PB ! All the best with continuing the progression and delivering this sort of oustanding stuff in a marathon soon...looks like the enforced taper probably helped. Way to go!

I'm hoping to head for Tuesday intervals in the coming weeks, now that I have changed my availability at work...

Biscuitman said...

Nice to meet you after the race. Congrats again on your PB and good luck for Canberra.

DC64 said...

Great run! You must be stoked to get a big PB on a tough course. Glad to be of some assistance going up the hill. You're definitely looking good for Canberra...

Sling Runner said...

Wow! Impressive run on a difficult course.

Congrats on the big PB. Very inspiring.

Epi said...

Thanks guys,

I appreciate that I've been lucky to have an extended period of continuous uninjured training time niw, and the rewards have come

Clown - I'm keen to meet up sunday

Craig Dufty said...

Impressive!
I don't think I could have run that time on that course when I won 6 inch last year.
The sub 3 marathon should be a mere formality now and if you keep up that rate of improvement I won't stand a chance at 6 inch this year.

homo said...

One word: AWESOME!