Sunday, March 08, 2009

Lacking some self control

107k@4:34 this week. I'm not complaining, but Im annoyed with myself that planned sessions changed due to a lack of self control, in particular the elusive longer MP run

Mon 14.2k@4:33 - took advantage of the public holiday for a midafternoon fartlek run through bold park. Very enjoyable but the heat took it's toll and I felt a bit crappy in the evening. Legs felt the hills as I've been running exclusively flat the last couple of weeks for Canberra

Tues 10.4k@4:10. - WAMC intervals. Due to a lack of the fast guys and my improvement, this was the first (and potentially only) time I was the fastest runner on most of the intervals. 4x300, 4x400,4x300. 100m jog/60sec or 90 sec recovery. I sped through the first set, leading the way in 50-54s. I tried to keep pride in the second set but came second in 2 of them ( 70-74). I was timing the recoveries (poorly, as I didn't have my garmin on interval mode) and obviously was making them too long so 3 guys started the last set 10 sec in front of me, but the faster young guy stayed with me and kept me honest -he hit higher gear and pulled away in the last 2 300s(51-53). Nearly vomited on the last one, and was too stuffed to even do a decent cooldown.

Wed 10.1k@4:42 easy
Thurs 10.7@4:54 easy and the slowest recovery I've done in a while

Fri 17k@4:17. This was meant to be the MP run. Headed down to Lake Monger, which I rarely run round despite it being so close. Started the session in 4:10s for the first 4k but gradually increased the speed and finished 10k in 40:20, more a tempo effort in the end. Had a drink then did another 2k in 8:00 then 3k cooldown. Hopefully next week the 20k@4:15

Sat 10.6k@4:46 easy
Sun 34.2k@4:37. Went back to the old route with Bold Park and Hale Rd hills, aiming to minimise breaks. 17-25degreesC with a gusty NE wind in the second half. Started easy with thoughts of a longer 40k'ish run, did the 1st 10k in 4:55s. Felt good once I hit the coast and sped things up, running at MP for a few km until my first stop at 18k, and 4:20s for the next 5k. Slowed down a bit over Hale Rd hill but then a couple more 4:15s leading up to the second drink stop at 28k. Last 6k slowed down to 4:35s. I was disorganised today so had no gels, just ran with the one powerade, after 18k was just running on water, so I'm pretty happy with the second half. Could have used a gel at 28k.

This Friday, work allowing, I will control my pace and run a 20k MP run. May need to start out at 4:20s just to force the slowness, and pick it up to 4:15s in the second 10k.

Commiserations to training partner Clown, who was forced to cancel Canberra due to injury. Perth will have to be your sub3 effort.

4 comments:

Sling Runner said...

Impressive. Your average training pace is now equivalent to 3:12 marathon effort. A good long run too without gels. A sub-3 is yours for the taking.

homo said...

I agree, you have improved immensely. Just AWESOME! (had to include this)

trailblazer777 said...

Agree you are totally at another level this year, re not doing sessions you wanted, to well make up for it this week then...
if I can avoid being at work somehow I will have to come join one of those intervals sessions sometime, sounds pretty cool...

Clown said...

Great week again, well done. Still, you better start taking some swimming lessons.