Sunday, December 21, 2008

Running Up That Hill

Kate Bush 1985

Six Inch Track Report

I had felt borderline viral/congested all week, so I took it fairly easy with Mon,Tues (race),Thurs,Sat runs total 32km

Saturday night I left the family Xmas party early and got about 4hrs sleep before a 2:45am rise, drive down to dwellingup then back to the start. Much bigger crowd than last year - over 20 I think.

I set off on the uphill first 4k much more comfortably than last year, but still found myself in 5th. Joined with Nathan and we upped the pace well under 5min/km. About 10k one of the Irish guys ran up to us, asked how fast we were going - I said 4:40 and he sped off ahead of us. Soon thereafter we saw him miss a turnoff, shouted to him, but his Ipod prevented him hearing us, and he was going too fast to readily catch.

About 14k or so Nathan let me go ahead. so I set on a plan to stay ahead of him as long as possible, knowing his endurance is great, and he'd catch me eventually. I run better when chased.

I managed to maintain the pace well up to the 23km mark (first drink stop) - not having walked and being 1hr58. Nathan was within a minute of me though. I was also told I was third, 2 of the other early leaders having made wrong turns too.

I realised I'd gone out too hard, but was already 14min up on last year at halfway. I reasoned that if I could stay ahead of or with Nathan to 35km stop, I could slog home in 4:15, my aim.

The next 12 km are some of the hilliest of the course, and I walked the steeper uphills and made it up down the hills, managing to maintain 5:10-5:15s despite the walks. I was surprised to get to 35k without Nathan in sight, and again stopped for 10 sec only before carrying on. 35k was smack on 3hrs, and I reasoned I could slow to 7 min kms and just make my target.

Fear of being caught driving me on, I maintained sub5:30 pace to 40k, and then after a section where i could look back 300m I couldnt see anyone following and realised I could come third. Soon I also realised sub4hrs was in the offing. At this point anything resembling a hill I was walking up, but only for seconds before running again.

I crossed the line third in just under 3hrs58 - a 35minute improvement on last year! I certainly hdn't taken it easy in the end, and was cramping up pretty badly for me.

As I had predicted, Craig Dufty was the dark horse in the race and won in a new course record of 3hr36, with Dave Kennedy a few minutes behind. The 3 stray runners were found and ended up running 3-5km longer than the course in total. They were a good hour behind me so I'd like to think I'd have got third anyway.

Now I'm tired but happy - the marathon time plus an hour rule of thumb and a 35min improvement in 12 months don't mean I could run a sub 3hr marathon today, but are confidence building nonetheless.

Nice to meet/carpool with Coops, who backed up well 13days after LasVegas Marathon. Bernadette broke the womens record by over an hour, Gunner stopped by at the end to say hi and TB completed (I hope - hadn't finished when I left) another mammoth effort on his injured ankle.

5k splits (2007 splits in brackets)
27:54 (31:37)
24:18 (27:28)
24:49 (27:17)
24:40 (27:31)
26:11 (29:44)
25:59 (28:05)
26:09 (31:51)
27:08 (32:23)
25:45 (32:08)

plus 960m 5:00

6 comments:

Clown said...

Fantastic effort and great end to a great year. Enjoy the rest, Merry Xmas and will catch up in the New Year.

Anonymous said...

Epi,
Fantastic to put a face to the name...Great effort well done...Jealous as hell.


Gunner

DC64 said...

Fantastic effort - good solid splits the whole way ; shows your endurance levels are excellent -this is a real platform for the sub-3 in Canberra. Together with your leg speed shown in the 3000 at Perry Lakes we're all going to be chasing *you* at the next one! You must be absolutely thrilled.

homo said...

Plain awesome!
You have every reason to be chuffed. I bet you're already looking forward to doing the run leg at Busso in December!!

trailblazer777 said...

Scintillating stuff! Sensational! Outstanding!

Based on that effort a sub 3hr marathon is there for the taking in 2009! Massive Well done! on the improvement in 6 inch this year and pushing the limits to a new level.

Thanks for the lift at the start too! Much appreciated. I finally got to the finish dead on 7 hrs. First 30km sitting on 7min a km (5.15 pace) Oakley Dam turnoff in 3hrs 28min, then my ankle died on me and the tough hills were too much for me, so had a struggle shuffle run and lots of walking in the last 3 hrs to get to the end, and a lot of unplanned stops along the way...Just nice to finish, and I'm encouraged by my first 30km.

Inspiring to read your report. Looks like the navigational challenges caught out a few newcomers again. Incredible day with massive new course records, from both the dark horse Craig Dufty, and Bernadette. Interestingly Dave K and Suzy were also both well under the 2007 course records as well, and with 20 finishers, a massive day in the history of 6 inch, so nice to be part of some history.

Sling Runner said...

Congrats on the massive PB. 5min pace for 45k 'long run' is damn good.