Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Break My Stride

Matthew Wilder 1983.

2008 running year in review:

3:14 Canberra Marathon - highlight
Sub 40 min 10k - 39:34 Lake Monger
Sub 19 min 5k - 18:55 Lake Joondalup
3000m time trial - 10:38

3:19 Perth Marathon off inadequate prep was OK
35min PB in the SixInch - very pleasing (and only just realised I ran only a minute slower than Dave did in 2007)

Of note in recent times has been a real meditative pleasure coming through my running, and with it a desire to run every day.

2009 Running Goals:

Put simply - SUB 3 HOUR MARATHON

Attempt #1 - Canberra Marathon (April) flights and accomodation have been booked, my wife's coming with me this time (!) and a downscaled post marathon holiday compared with last year - a week in Sydney.

Attempt #2 - Perth Marathon(July)

Subsequent Attempts_Other marathons are possible, depending upon the result. There is a chance I may need to take up swimming in a hurry to do the swim leg of Busselton in December.

Other distance PBs will need to come if I can do it, but they are secondary.


This is a challenging target, and I'd rate myself at best a 50:50 chance of achieving it. I am aware of several runners, all better than I, who have come so close but not quite got there. Everything will have to go right to scrape under that barrier. (Hopefully I can get dragged along by Clown who will do it with his eyes shut)

Many thanks to the other running bloggers, you all provide me with motivation in one way or another. I hope you all have a successful 2009.

7 comments:

DC64 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DC64 said...

I was a little worried when I saw the title of your post! Congratulations on a great year ; IMHO you're well on target for the sub-3 in Canberra. Here's to a fantastic 2009!

Epi said...

Not as worried as I was at the title of your post - didn't you know it's not polite to talk about how terrific your annus is!

Clown said...

We just need to convince Henry to do the full Ironman and then neither of us need to worry about the swim :).

trailblazer777 said...

Congratulations on an outstanding year with two terrific marathons, and some great shorter runs, but I thought your 6 inch 3.57 was the most outstanding run! IMO this suggests that some A-grade times in 2009 (sub 38 10km and sub 3hr marathon), are very much achievable in 2009 Anno Domini, if you continue to build on that 6 inch effort, and the intervals work.

Thats great that your wife can be there for Canberra, look forward to seeing how you go in 2009, and might have to try come down to Busselton to see how this triathlon stuff goes for Heinrich,Clown and yourself.

trailblazer777 said...

That (nothings going to) "break my stride" song has a good rhythm to it, heard that on the radio a few times...

Sling Runner said...

A terrific year, Epi!