Sunday, July 06, 2008

Perth Marathon 2008

Well it's 4pm and I finally feel able to sit up and type out a report - there was a lot of pain going on today

It was a quiet week - 2 training runs at MP, 8 and 7km

Friday night pasta dinner with Rob, Saturday afternoon dropped off the drinks, interrupted sleep on Sat night before getting up at 5 for coffee and toast - the usual routine. I must admit to being fairly relaxed compared to previous years.

It was a cool morning to say the least - 0.9degrees - which is as cold as it gets in Perth.

For once Rob and I didn't run together - he was aiming for faster than me, so I quickly settled into a pace which was still a little faster than it should have been

0- 5k 21:48 (4:22)
5-10k 22:00 (4:24)
10-15K 22:18 (4:28)
15-20K 22:28 (4:30)
Half in just under 1:34
20-25k 22:21 (4:28)
25-30k 23:01 (4:36)

I had settled into a group of 6 or so who ran together from 10-25k, and as can be seen, I was still on 3hr10 pace at 30k.

Then the predicted lack of distance in training showed out.
30-35k I held on to about 4:50s
Then I really hit the wall, and went to a jog 500m, walk 50m strategy, that saw me hold 5:10s or so til 39k, but slip to 5:45s in the last 3k until a face saving last 500m.

I ended up with 3:19:xx - pretty much as I predicted.

I was absolutely wrecked at the end, apologies to Clown, Homo and respective families for lack of discussion - I needed to get home and horizontal for a while.
My immediate impression was the same as Homo's son after doing the kids marathon - 'I'm never doing that again' - but it wouldn't be a marathon if I didn't feel that way.

Congrats to Clown for the impressive run - 3:09 running alone and with a toilet break - my prediction that you had sub3:00 in you wasn't far from the truth.

Well done TB on returning to sub4hours - although we may need to have a little talk about that haircut!

All the best to Homo for the 12 week Berlin prep - see you out at some races.

Woosha did sub330 - but no-one told him to tape his nipples - ouch!

Sling - you need to find a conference here as an excuse to come over and run with us again

3 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

Well done! excellent time considering the lack of distance work, well done on the gutsy painful stuff at the end especially! great to see you guys out there. Noone seems to like my haircut, but i thought I'd be a little adventourous this year.
Our son Jacob is having his first birthday party Saturday 2nd August 1400-1600, so if you and Tiff have free time then, be great to catch up there, so consider yourself invited. Contact me on 0439817518 or jontheroadrunner@rocketmail.com for details...
Good run from Woosha too!

homo said...

Good to see you back in the land of the living again!

Sling Runner said...

Ouuch, the dreaded wall :(

It is still a solid effort given the lack of training post Canberra. Remember that you have made some excellent progress in the last 12 months, in both marathons and 10k.

A good lesson for me that marathon is not easy.

cheers