Sunday, July 20, 2008

King of the Mountain 2008

I got back into training last Saturday, and ran 5 sessions before today - including hill intervals Tuesday

Sat 8.15k @ 4:27
Sunday 13.1k @ 4:41
Tues 11.4K @ 4:48 with 3x750m hill intervals
Thurs 10k @ 4:38
Friday 9.3k @4:48

I decided to do the KOTM today as something different, and thought it would be good preparation for City To Surf in terms of hills. Legs wre a bit fatigued though, so I told myself to take it fairly easy ( as if that would ever happen)

It was a freezing morning (1.7degrees C in Perth, felt colder in the hills), and as it is a one way course you drive to the finish and get a bus to the start - at the bottom of the hill. It was freezing in the bus.

My handicap was 17min41, which meant I had to wait half an hour after the first starters to get going. By 8:30 when I started, the sun was out and it was a little warmer. All the male runners who weren't club members started 2min40 behind me, so I was expecting to be passed by a few people.

I set out hardish over the flat first two kms in 3:57/4:13, then ploughed through the river crossing ( - freezing water to upper thigh level). My quads were shocked and it took a little while to get in a rhythm again.

From 3-14k the course was undulating with more ups than downs, but each hill was short enough to get thorough then catch my breath on the descent. I ran at 4:25s to 4:30s throughout this period and passed alot of people. At 14k I still had only been passed by 4 people - all non members and I thought I might be nearing the front of the members and the glory of a top5 finish.

With 1.5k to go, the hill became constant, and my energy suddeny drained. I think had I known the course and how near I was to the finish (finished at 15.9 on Garmin, supposed to be 16.1 and I expected an overmeasurement), I may have pushed through but I stopped and walked a little way up the hill. In that final 1.5k about six people passed me. I still ran 5:00s for each km, so I wasn't going that slow. Suddenly I saw the finish 300m ahead and pushed hard to finish - 1hr11:44 (54 minutes something handicap time).

That time would have put me in the top 5 last year, but I missed it this time. (Out of interest Clown - you would have started about 2 and a half minutes after me on the handicap system)

So my easy run ended up being a gut-buster, and 4:30min/kms never felt so hard.

My plan from here is hills, hills, hills in training, and keep attending racs on sundays, without necessarily tapering or expecting PBs in them. Tuesday will be a hill interval session every week, and if I dont do a short race on the Sunday I'll do a second speed or tempo session during the week.

The tourdefrance is making early morning runs harder, although the EPO boost my energy. Once again I have had my annual thoughts of buying a road bike, but again I find it hard enough to make time t run, am I really going to make time to ride?

2 comments:

Sling Runner said...

Good test for C2S :) What was the total climb (net elevation)?

trailblazer777 said...

Excellent run, Interesting to read about it, I gotta try that KOM one of these years...
Stay away from that EPO I heard it causes heart attacks *LOL* :-)
But Hurray for Cadel, and maybe he'll win it next year!?