Sunday, June 08, 2008

Lake Monger 10k

Finally a sub 40!

Tough couple of training weeks
Last week ran 76k @ 4.44 - never found my groove and struggled along in the mornings. Only managed 15k on Sunday and then another 15k on Monday
This week 62k @4:35 - started to get some rhythm going. Did a 6k tempo @ 4:15 on Thurs.

This morning wanted to get the sub40 done. Smallish field at Lake Monger, 2k warmup
Started hardish to clear any traffic, then settled in with Rob until 5k

Splits 3:44/3:59/3:55/3:51/3:57

At 5k Rob took off and I ran the rest of the race with the eventual female winner. Felt like crap and was a matter of saying one more km then I can stop for each of the last 5k!

Splits 4:00/3:54/4:00/4:02/3:57

I was very thankful to have the young lady running with me - she was pushing very hard to win - which I thought she had done easily but at the award ceremony I see she was only a few seconds in front of the second placegetter.

I sprinted ahead of her at the end to record 39:34 (10k, Garmin 10.05, Sportstracks 10:09)

A 3.5k cooldown lap with Rob, who impressively ran under 39, had me feeling quite good.

Now that mental hurdle has been cleared, I can look to knocking another minute off it by the end of the year!

2 comments:

Sling Runner said...

Congrats Epi.Well-deserved !!

trailblazer777 said...

Well done!!!

You are starting to become a serious contender for A-grade status now, with only another 94 seconds required for an A-grade qualifer in the 10k, which would also give you an A-grade start in the City to Surf. Between the 39.34 at Lake Monger, the 3.14 in Canberra and a few other runs, be extremely interesting to see how long you can maintain the PB progression in the next year or two, if that is what you want...way to go!