Sunday, May 25, 2008

Swings & Roundabouts

Up and down week

Back injury at work on Monday - lifting a patient with poor tachnique when I knew I shouldn't - left me with an excuse not to run much

The sessions I did run were fast

Tues 5k 'tempo plus' in 19:45, 2 min rest then 5x1k - 352/348/400/354/355
Friday 8k tempo - 1st 4k in 4:20s, next 4k in 4:10s

Wanted to do some sessions in the mould of SlingRunner - and was fairly happy with the result

Sun23k @ 4:43. Ran with Rob and couldn't hack the pace - walked a couple of times and couldn't even come up with the last 2k to make 25.

No excuse for the performance - just too fast for me.

This has confirmed my decision to take the marathon fairly easy and focus on doing 10k PB.

2 comments:

Sling Runner said...

Solid session, mate! I suggest you don't do the race simulation (tempo + 1k repeats) too frequently, especially near to the race. Also, it's okay to take a slightly longer recovery between intervals to avoid pre-mature peaking.

trailblazer777 said...

Agree with going after the intervals if wanting to improve 10k time...

I agree with longer recovery between intervals, dont think it matters that much, I find a ratio of rest:run 1:1 or 1:2 works for me with intervals rests.

Probably good to leave 24-48 hours gap between intervals and race, plus maybe some fast running at around expected race pace in a timetrial situation or failing that a tempo run, just so your intervals dont influence your surging in a race too much.

With the sessions Clown has been doing lately I am not surprised you had trouble staying with him, he is flying at the moment!

Going well, all the best with getting the back right, and easing into the Perth 42, going after the 10k PB!