Sunday, June 15, 2008

Perth Half Marathon 2008

Had my annual pre marathon virus week this week - ran only 32k including today

Tuesday 10.5k @ 4:34 - progression run

Then developed virus and this combined with weather, work and my flagging motivation convinced me not to run each day. Felt better Saturday but decided to leave it for today.

Conditions weren't perfect - rain and wind. Parking at Burswood was the worst I've seen at a run, and despite arriving 25 minutes pre start, by the time I'd parked and got there, I had less than 5 minutes.

Ran with Rob and we settled in to a 4:15-4:20 pace - 43:14 at 10k
At the turnaround Rob flirted with the idea of pushing the pace in the back half to go sub90, but after a km or two decided to keep it safe for the Marathon and slowed back to our previous pace.
Now it was my turn to feel strong and think about pushing the pace, but I too thought better of it.

This was definitely the right option as we held our pace and coasted along at conversational effort. I even surprised myself by not pushing it when a couple of runners overttook us with 4k to go.

It was only in the last km which we pushed to 4:00 pace that I felt the effort, and even then, it was fairly controlled

21.39 (Sportstracks) in 1:31:57 @ 4:18s
5k splits - 21.34, 21.40, 21.41, 21.50

Happy with the result and with my form over the middle distances. I still have grave concerns re the marathon with "long" runs of 15k/19k/23k/15k/16k/21k in the six weeks back from holidays. This is a recipe for hitting the wall. It'll take all my willpower to hold back on the day and run an even pace 3:30 rather than heading out in 1:35 and dying in the back half.

Oh, and I ran in skins for the first time in a race (I think). Not really for my benefit but for the delight of the ladies out on the course. I'm sure I cut a fine figure!

5 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

Excellent run by yourself and Clown!

Agree with the parking being a shambles. If you do the Perth at between 3.20-3.40 pace I may be around the same pace for a lot of the race hopefully. Have to laugh about the skins comment,lots of good female runners out there too. Agree with the comment about lack of long runs, with nothing over 25k not good, but the regular mileage and Canberra being only 3 months ago should see you through ok, even if the last 10k is a bit tough.
The good runs in the Perth Half, and Lake Monger should ensure your first 20-30k is first class...Was inspiring for me to see you and Clown out there going strong. Hope to see you both at the 42...

Clown said...

I know what you mean re the skins, I don't waer them to the races as I want the girls to concentrate on their running :).

Well done re today, you looked as though you were really cruising.

Sling Runner said...

Great run. I would have thought you would go all out in the HM and take it easy in the marathon due to lack of long runs.

Solid effort.

Epi said...

Thanks guys,

TB and Clown - Its both a blessing and a curse to look so good in lycra ;)

Sling - I thought about running the half at full pace but decided I was no chance of beating the famous Freo 'short course' 2006 PB and pride makes me want to do OK at the Marathon.
Also, taking it easy means I could enjoy the afternoon rather than sitting on the couch feeling sick as I do when I go all out.

homo said...

OMG - you guys had better take your tongues out of your cheeks, otherwise they'll be permanently stuck in there.
I'm just not sure whether the ladies really fancy blokes in tights...

Good effort though, if only because you got out there.