Saturday, May 10, 2008

Back to it

Back from 4 weeks holiday post Canberra marathon
4kg heavier thanks to overindulging in Hawaii, Baltimore NewYork and Paris

Very little running in 4 weeks - 6 runs totalling about 50km - due to lack of places to run as well as to laziness.

New shoes - bought some Adistar Control V - on recommendation of Clown - best feeling shoe for me since AsicsGT2110. Now I wish I bought more in the uS, where they cost $100 compared with the exorbitant costs here.

So now for the second half of 2008

Initial plan is to build up to decent mileage over the next 4 weeks.
Next is to get in a sub 40min 10k which I should have done by now. I had considered doing that tomorrow but JetLag makes that unlikely. Challenge or Lake Monger seem the candidates
Third is potentially a 42-50k trail run at the MundaBiddi100k in June, if preparations are going OK
Fourth is Perth Marathon - my 4th in a row. I am not expecting a PB with limited preparation and lack of real mental focus for this one. Sub 330 is good enough.

Fifth and probably the main goal will be to focus on speed post July and try to really set a decent 10k PB, sub39 minutes in the second half of the year. If I am to make inroads towards my goal of sub 3hour marathon next year I need to be getting the 10k time down to sub 38min realistically.

My wife's family have enthusiastically jumped on the 2009 Boston Marathon wagon - all planning a US holiday to coincide, so if finances allow this seems quite likely - and with the travel, support, cost and long buildup I would hope for a big PB performance.

First things first though - lets start running again and see how much is lost from 4 weeks of rest.

Hi to Clown, Homo,TB,Sling - hope you are all progressing through your various challenges.

6 comments:

homo said...

Good to hear from you!

And even better that you have garnered support for Boston - and from your wife's family to boot.

Once I have sorted out my crash-interrupted training, we might be able to meet up for some runs

homo said...

I meant to add: glad you like the Adistar, they are fantastic, aren't they.
I now have two pairs in rotation.
$180 at Runner's World, if we can find them cheaper, maybe we can put in a bulk order.

Clown said...

Sound like you had a great holiday, welcome back. Good to hear that Boston sounds a goer, I'm def looking at going and a few of the troops may come as well.

Call out if you are interested in doing Sun am run

Sling Runner said...

Welcome back! Sounds like a good plan for the remainder of 2008.

Challenge Run is a good 10k albeit some undulations. Most likely you will run at your pace alone in Lake Monger since it is only a week away from Perth marathon.

Epi said...

Thanks guys,

Homo - I got the Adistar for US$100 - will have to see if I can get some shipped - sometimes get my brother have them delivered to his place in the US then ship them over or send back with other visiting family

Clown - will let you know re next Sunday - may have work commitment in the am

Sling - the WAMC calender has changed this year, Lake Monger is now 4 weeks pre marathon, one week pre perth half, and the freo half shifted to late september. So 4 weeks out from Marathon, Lake Monger will potentially be a fast course for a 10kPB.

trailblazer777 said...

Welcome back Epi. So your 4th Perth, and my 5th Perth. I agree that sub 40 10k is well overdue.
Lake Monger for me is the one to go for, nice flat course ideal for a fast time. I have done 1k reps there when i was living in Glendalough in 2001/2002. Kelly Exeter did a few there too preparing for New York last year.
I think my brother is coming over with his wife from North Carolina end of this year, my younger brother was supposed to get me some stuff from China, maybe I'll have to try my NC brother...
All the best with settling back into a new training and racing groove. Must be a good feeling with a 3.14 done, and a decent holiday. I'm trying to be inspired and not too jealous...:-) *LOL*
Great to hear the Boston 2009 juggernaut is gathering some serious momentum!