Sunday, May 18, 2008

Gentle Return

9 days back - 74km at 4:44

Would have liked to have done more, but post holiday 'stuff' limited things.

On the plus side - generally doing OK
On the minus - ITB niggles for first time in a while
Not having done a long run leaves me with at most 4 long runs prior to the marathon. And that would mean missing or incorporating 2 10k races and the HM.

No great point going though each run - 19k this am - limited by a breakfast at 9am.
One tempo/CV session with 4x1k at 4:00-4:05
Five 10-15k runs

I'm all confused.
Should I do challenge 10k next week hard, then add some extra before and after?
Should I wait til Lake Monger 10k and race that with a better chance at a PB?
Do I do the 50k MundaBiddi instead of Lake Monger,4 weeks out?
I'll definitely need to make the HM into a longer run.
Should I try to incorporate a midweek long run sometime to allow racing both 10k's?
Do I say to heck with the long runs and accept an average Marathon relying on km's 'in the bank'
To be honest no matter what I dont expect a great performance in the Marathon - I'm doing it to keep my consecutive run going

I'll do some thinking this week. Either way the big goal is Boston next year, and the next couple of months are either going to help my aerobic base or speed or both for that.

3 comments:

Clown said...

Epi, good effort, sounds as though your fitness has hardly suffered at all.

If I was you, I'd put my energies re 10k into Lake Monger where it is nice and flat and wouldn't worry about Challenge and instead do a longer run.Lake Monger is the sub 40 race for you.

Re Perth half, I'll be doing approx 5k warmup and 5k cooldown to make it into 30k+ run.

Bring on Boston, I'm pumped already.

homo said...

Good advice from Clown, I'd say.

Most of all though, don't beat yourself up and enjoy the fact that you blasted your way to a great PB.

Now you can just cruise, in more ways than one!

trailblazer777 said...

For sure you have a bigger fish to fry there with Boston, and to be honest I am getting a little bored with the Perth myself, this could be my last one this year, but I often change my mind about that sort of thing.

Some tricky decisions there.

I agree with Clown in that Lake Monger is a much better option than Challenge for a sub 40 and being a nice flat course less chance of injury issues.
I was just thinking today that maybe I should race challenge and then run another lap of the course to give me 20k for that morning...

My advice is if you think you are a good shot at the sub 40 then do Lake Monger, if not go bush and enjoy the trails of the Munda Biddi, I think either approach will be useful for the Perth.

If you choose to do 30k-50k then I would advise you to run it at about 5-6min per k or even slower, and just enjoy the trail running experience, that way it wont impact on your recovery for the Perth too much, and it will make the Perth 42.2 an easy race.

If you do Lake Monger then probably either run a bit extra afterwards, or do an evening 20k, or a 20-25k midweek, to keep the base ticking over, or even skip it altogether, assuming you have some 27k-35k long runs on the board for all or most of the other weeks. It takes 2-6 weeks to lose your base benefits, according to what I learnt at Uni, so IMO it is not essential to do long run *every* week. Every 2nd week or even every 3rd or 4th week, can still work almost as well...

People Like Ray Boyd and Todd Ingraham, I think often did the city to Surf 12k, then ran back to the City to make it 24k, or more...

All the best with the Boston plans, and making the most of the remainder of this year.