Sunday, December 16, 2007

Six Inch Trail Marathon 2007

Well its been run and done. Generally happy with the day.

had to get up at 2:45am, left home at 3:10, got to Dwellingup and we shuttled back to the start in one car so most were at the finish.
Great conditions - cool but not raining, although a bit of a headwind at times.

The first 4 k were a shock to the system straight uphill, and were exceedingly slow, ruining my intended pacing plan straight away.

Dave, Colin and Victor went out ahead, leaving me in 4th. At 4k Rod, who I hadn't met before, started after not being able to find the start line (understandably in the dark), so we ran togather for 5k or so. I quickly realised he was going faster than I wanted and let him go.

At 11k or so I stopped for a gel and felt really crappy. Luckily there was some downhill thereafter and I made up some time. I actually came back to within 100m of Rod after he stopped for a supply from his wife, but then I stopped at the 22.5k mark to have another gel.

At 30k I was still doing OK, although I struggled through the Oakley Dam section which was steep and rough.
I had built up a few minutes ahead of my 6min/km pace so I started to feel I could hit my planned 4hr30 total time

Slightly longer stop at 34k to fill the hydration pack and have a power bar, then struggled through the last 10k. I hit the 45k mark in 4hr28, but the course was almost 46k - a tough psychological challenge.

So finish time 4hrs33:43, 45.9k on Garmin (Sportstracks seems unable to handle that many laps)
5k Splits 31/28/27/28/29/28/32/33/32

They say time should be Marathon time plus an hour, so that fits me.
My lack of endurance showed in the end, but I was happy to finish the run
Groin twinged a bit on the hills, and quads cramped up a bit. All in all though, relatively unscathed.

6 comments:

homo said...

Spot-on timing though, Epi. Well done.

Great effort all round and a nice way to end the year.

Clown said...

Great effort, you should be very happy with that time. Bodes well for next year for the Marathon.

trailblazer777 said...

Well done!!!

You can now say you are a successful 6-Inch veteran!
Excellent time too!

Guess the next challenge to step up to the plate for is 6 Foot maybe 2009? and of course PB's in the easier races...

Yes Goldmine Hill does sort a lot of people out.

Hope to show up in 2008 and nail a sub 6 or maybe even a sub 5 6Inch...

Well done!

trailblazer777 said...

Dave likes to incorporate what he calls "bonus K's" into some of his courses...*LOL* :-) haha

Look out for report on the 6-Inch race in the next edition of R4YL and Ultramag magazines.

Sling Runner said...

Nice work - should bode well for marathon, especially psychologically.

trailblazer777 said...

Possible 6-inch entrant for 2008 academic from the college at Pikes Peak where the following race in Colarado is held;
http://www.pikespeakmarathon.org/