Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sore Knee

I've been paying for my great Marathon over the last couple of weeks. Initially I thought it would be the left groin/hip flexor which would bother me, but that can be run through and settles with stretching.

More annoyingly is some pes anserinus tendonitis/bursitis in the right knee. It doesn't appear until about 8k, but when it comes it's quite nasty. Akin to ITBS on the medial aspect of the knee/proximal tibia.

On the plus side, I've got another overuse injury to add to the collection - I've now become much better at diagnosing and treating sporting injuries in the last couple of years.

So lots of stretching (esp hamstrings) and no runs beyond 10k - 38k total last week, 54k this week.

Apart from this the body feels good on easy runs, but after trying anything approaching a quality session I feel it the next day

I was hoping to run the Freo HM with Clown next week, but will have to see how it goes. An option may be to run 'til the knee gets sore then pull out. A quick trip to Melbourne for a couple of meetings Thurs and Friday mean I also have the opportunity to beat my Tan lap time.

Looking more closely at those High School times from my last post I'm beginning to question my memory - surely I never ran that fast. I'll take a look and see if I have any records to confirm their veracity. I cant imagine ever being as fast as Sugar is now!

And finally, speaking of fast - I saw the Triathlon World Champs on TV -Alistair Brownlee won with a 10k of 29:04 - that's pretty impressive after 1500m swim and 40k cycle!

No comments: