Sunday, July 26, 2009

What to do?

Wound it back up to 88k this week

Mon rest
Tues 14.8k@ 4:06 with 10k in 40min tempo
Wed 20k@4:22
Thurs rest
Fri 10k@4:26 easy
Sat 10k@4:18 easy
Sun 33k@4:35 - long run with Rob

Feeling not quite recovered 3 weeks post Mara - paces for effort 5-10sec slower than a month ago.

More importantly the motivation ain't there to do a full on marathon prep. To run Monday and Thursday for me requires a deal of willpower as these are my long work days - wasnt up to it this week, and after puttin in for the first 6 months of the year I'm leaning towards settling down to 80k weeks in 5days running

This still doesnt decide my City to Surf decision - it would be nice to run a slower, more controlled marathon (if such a thing exists), would also be nice to target a fast 12k, or I could hitch on with Clown and Homo in the HM.

Then Clown has thrown a spanner in the works with his plans for Melbourne Mara in October.

Lets wait and see.

6 comments:

Sling Runner said...

Agree that it is a tough call.

If I were you, I would shortlist the marathon and 12k. Since it is the inaugural marathon, running it wil be an entirely new experience. On the other hand, the 12k offers a good challenge. a sub-45 would be good in your CV !

You can run a faster HM in normal WAMC races.

My $0.02...

trailblazer777 said...

Have to concur with Sling there, a PB for the 12k is there for the taking I reckon, but the experience of the marathon fast or slow, should be special (I'm planning on being there for the 42.2k,) with hopefully some big names from interstate and overseas...Good training week. You already have an outstanding 6 months-several years on the board, all you have to do is keep things going, keep pushing the limits. A rest day or two might be a good thing, although perhaps some crosstraining might assist. I am also hoping to be there for Melbourne Marathon, and it is something special, well worth heading over for. Another thought is maybe the Sydney Half....Beat the paralysis of choice (two many of ém)...

Craig Dufty said...

Run 5 days a week, stop pushing the pace on your easy runs and see what happens in the marathon. I reckon you will run faster. I don't understand how you can call 4:18/km an easy run when it is faster than marathon pace. It would take me 2 weeks to recover from the week that you have just done and I'm hoping to break 2:50.

Biscuitman said...

Maybe consider the Rottnest Marathon in October? It will give you few more weeks to rebuild your base as well as sharpen your pace towards the race. Re the City to Surf, I would pick the event that you have the best chance to do a PB in. I think that might be the 12km rather than the half. I wouldn't do the marathon unless you feel like you can run sub 3 or will be happy running outside that.

I'm looking to go sub 45 in the 12km so we could pace each other if you are interested.

Anonymous said...

Looks like another solid week Epi...Keep the work rate up and all will fall in place for you.

Gunner

Clown said...

Epi, no pressure from me, I'm just looking forward to the "G".

I'm not a big fan of McDonald at all but if they're going to make a change at no 6, I think it is a better bet than Watson who invariably will end up injured and is overrated anyway.