Sunday, July 05, 2009

Perth Marathon 2009

3:04:08 - 10minute PB but not quite what I was aiming for

The leadup week was OK - Tuesday ran too fast 8k in 3:55s, so took Wed off, 5.5k@4:30 Thurs, 7.5k@4:30 Fri

Saturday I had a sore throat and felt hot and sweaty, I convinced myself I had a virus and wouldn't run today. Of course I woke up feeling fine

The warmup was unremarkable other than one contact lens slipping to the side of my eye such that I couldn't retrieve it, and forgetting my Ipod headphones.

We started off OK - hit 10k bang on 42 mins. We were running in a small group on the cyclepath. At about 14k this guy came up on the right of me - I was running alongside Rob. He proceeded to veer to his left towards me, knocking my elbow with his, and really pissed me off. I muttered something but he stayed there. I fell back a little but he slowed a little too, then I sped up a little and he did the same, still knocking me with his elbow. I swore and sped up significantly under a burst of adrenaline. Sadly this was about the same time Rob's groin hurt and he never caught me up.

Anyway, I fell into a rhythm that saw me get to half way in 88:35, and I continued at 4:10-4:15s for the next 10k. At 32k I was 2hrs15 and thought I was still a realistic chance. I started to struggle at this point and didnt really find someone I could tag along with. I passed Dave Kennedy, but he wasn't having a fast day after a very recent 100k ultra.

I slowed to 4:30s and at 36k was 4:33 and realised it wasn't going to be sub3 today. The last 5k were 4:50-5:00s and my left quad cramped up big time. For good or bad I was still passing those around me even at this pace - I think in the last 10k I passed 5 people and only one passed me.

The cramp really developed in the last 500m such that I limped through the finish and couldnt sit down for a few minutes. In my usual style I could barely talk or sit up afterwards - so again sorry to you all who wanted a chat - I dont do well post marathon!

I went home and slept for a couple of hours and rewarded myself with my first fast food in several months - a chicken burger from Hungry Jacks. I also wasn;t tempted to break my Dry July and will continue off the alcohol.

Congrats first to Sling for a top performance at Gold Coast. Clown for persevering through groin pain. Homo for battling the stomach cramps. Gunner for another solid Mara in his leadup to Busselton. The Sugary Biscuit team for their 3rd place. TB for leading the field at the start ('cos that's how you roll') then toughing out another long day at the office.

5k Garmin splits (read 400m long)
20:33/20:51/20:57/20:42/20:46/21:21/22:14/24:10
Halves 88:35/95:33

My immediate thought is to never do another - so let's give it a week or two.

10 comments:

homo said...

Glad to read your report, I was getting worried.

We have proven one thing: 42.2ks is a long distance and anything can happen. Very humbling.

Even though you did not break the 3 hour barrier, you had a huge PB and you can be proud of that.

Give it a bit of time and then start plotting.

Well done!

(and no need to apologise)

Clown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Clown said...

Congrats on the massive pb and really well deserved.

Perfectly run race up to 36km, then it just gets tough, you'll get a day when you nail the 42 and you'll be stoked.

Glad you're ok, hung around a bit just to make sure you were right, sorry if I was a pain.

I've just enjoyed my Fish and Chips, although I tend to have that a bit more often than I should :)

Biscuitman said...

Bad luck Epi but congrats on your PB. You are so close (and your half marathon PB is proof) - don't let the fire burn out.

trailblazer777 said...

Congratulations on the very well deserved PB! It took Dave Kennedy a few shots to nail the sub 3, and he ended up doing 3.05 today, which was well off what he was hoping for, its is a humbling race that finds all our weak spots. Reminds me of a day back in 2004 when Dave ran 3.06 at Rottnest, when he was hoping to break the 3...Persist on the track you are on and you won't just go sub 3, you will really smash it. Well done on the dry July plans too. Sounds like you put it all out there and the inconsiderate, irresponsible pig of a cyclist was something that got you going better in the end. My ex SAS racewalking coach (and London Olympics marathoner used to say after every marathon and 50km walk race, "never again, never again I've learnt my lesson this time", but he'd be back out there again in a few weeks,months, and 60 years later he is still at it at...Its something Ive learnt in 20+ years of racing on and off, that you can quit, but the fire to race never leaves you...Its the way an athlete is.
Henrys comments are very sage/wise/on the money. Right now I feel like "never again", but I know from experience that probably won't last, although maybe I could just drop down to 10k's or Half's only but I doubt it... Excellent effort! All the best for the future whichever directions you head in.

DC64 said...

Great run, just wasn't your day. Like I said on my blog, this games never easy even if you're having a good day, so to guts it out takes a lot. 10 minutes is 10 minutes and a step closer to your goal. It's only a matter of time....

Sling Runner said...

Bad luck as you were almost there! Congrats on the big PB.

Perhaps you might want to consider taking electrolytes tablets to mitigate the cramp.

I notice that your breakthrough races (10k & HM) were done when you didn't taper drastically. Perhaps something worth thinking about.

Epi said...

Thanks Guys,

Sling - I have been thinking about what I might do in training and on the day to help. i agree that I probably do better off a less severe taper and will change that next time- probably with some sort of run every day in the week leading up to the marathon.

On the nutrition front during the run, I think I took in too little during the race.

Anonymous said...

Epi,
Still a great effort, I'd take 3:04 anyday. Looking at your PB half marathon time you certainly have the speed to go under 2:55. Great to chat to you and Rob after the race.
Once again a fantastic day weather wise.

I found Dave Criniti's training prior to the Canberra in Run4YL a interesting read in regards to his work load the week before the race.

I'm happy with my race, with very consistant min/klm rate, thinking now that I didn't go hard enough as I have pulled up as good as I do after a normal Sunday long run
Gunner

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.