Sunday, July 19, 2009

Dry July

Three weeks no alcohol - a record for me for a long time - and on the downhill run to the end of the month. I finally registered on the Dry July website and put my money where my mouth is (the money I would have otherwise spent on wine) - so I can't stop now.

On the running front I've taken it nice and easy post marathon - weather, busy work and a 4 day weekend in Melbourne helping to keep me from doing too much too soon.

Week 1 40k total - mainly easy, a little fartlek, did some without the watch to keep my mind off the pace.

Week 2 - 55km total. As above plus one obligatory lap of the Tan in Melbourne - did 13:55 for the 3.82km, 3:38 average - pretty pleased as I was running by myself on a surprisingly quiet track.

As Clown mentioned on his blog - great sporting time of year - two reasons to stay up late - the usual Tour, and the Ashes. Tonight will be a big one - outside of Cadel and Lance, I'm an Andy Shleck fan. I'm also holding out some hope for an improbable result at Lords - weather and umpiring permitting.

We watched collingwood v hawthorn last night at the 'G, and the Pies fans behind us reinforced their reputation as the lowest common denominator as they treated the children with us (and their own children) to an education in swearing. Unfortunately after they spent the pre match discussing how their amateur boxing bouts went down at the local town hall went this week, we weren't game to say anything. On the upside, they all left at 3 quarter time (to 'avoid the traffic' apparently, rather than to see their team get shellacked by a resurgent Hawthorn). I'll never complain about Dockers fans again!

As for me, I'm lacking a bit of direction in my running right now - will see if I have the energy to ramp it up to 100km+ weeks in the next fortnight to help me decide C2S 12/HM/Mara

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

your a better than me Epi...month with out a drink.

sad about the cricket stayed up and watch the whole test.

trailblazer777 said...

Well done on the dry 3 weeks...while Ive never drunk alcohol in my 35 years, (and vegetarian most of my life) I am known to drink a lot of pepsi, eat heaps of chocolate,lollies, and KFC chips, and other things so can relate to the challenges of trying to improve the lifestyle...all the best with that.

Saw something in the media the other day reckons more of us Dockers fans have been thrown out of Subi Oval this year than eagles fans...Bring on the derby, will it be 7 in a row for the purple army? the pies fans are known to be very feral...especially when they were at victoria park...
Did you see Strauchnie or Joffa at the G?

Good stuff on getting to the Tan I so want to run that again soon.

Le Tour is cool! to watch, and hopefully the Australians can wrest back the upper hand in The Ashes...

Biscuitman said...

Are you doing the Run for Gold on Sunday?