Sunday, March 02, 2008

Sniffles

In a manner I should have predicted, I developed sore throat and nasal congestion after last Sunday's 36k effort. This has been a pattern anytime I run half marathon or longer at anything faster than easy pace.

Research reveals I am not the only one. A significant percentage of runners get these symptoms after a long run or race (47% after one Ultra). It may not be infection but rather an allergic type process, although the immune system does dip after a sustained hard effort.

So what to do? I need to do some runs of this type in a mara buildup. Vitamin C has some beneficial effect and I will certainly make that a more regular thing. I also think I have previously been a bit too reserved in running with these symptoms. But as I know all too well, I continue to push too hard at some times when I shouldn't, but feel good.

So on to this week. Took Monday and Wed off due to symptoms, and only did one 'quality' session - 6k tempo on friday. Todays long run was controlled. I wanted to run shorter with some periods at MP. Once again a very humid morning made things tough.

Tues 10.3k @ 4:55min/km
Thurs 10.3k @ 4:50
Fri 10k @ 4:27 with 6k tempo 4:15
Sat 10.3k @ 4:56
Sun 27.5k @4:53. 1st 12k 5:00s,3k @4:45s, 4k @ 4:35s, last 8k 4:50-5:00s

So a quieter period continues - but last 9 weeks average 83.3k per week, versus 42.7 for the equivalent leadup weeks to Perth Mara last year!Only 3 hard training weeks to go!!

3 comments:

Clown said...

Good efforts Epi re the long run and tempo, pretty solid week all round, especially considering the heat.

I swear by the Vitamin C and Garlic tablets to stave off nearly anything

I know the last thing you may feel like at the moment is a MP run of about 22k around 30k in total but if you are interested will do it from Burswood as per last time on Sun.

Think you're in great shape for Canberra, you've certainly put in the k's, just need to make sure you don't end up sick.

trailblazer777 said...

Looking good! Just hope you taper well...
that sniffles thing I had not heard of b4 although I was aware that the immune system is very vulnerable for 24 hours after long run.

Jacob looks great in his overalls. Great choice by your wife!

All the best with Canberra!

homo said...

Epi -

Just stumbled over this and thought you might be interested: http://www.elagen.com/sport/index.htm