Sunday, February 17, 2008

Matilda Bay 10k 2008

First up, I admit to over-reacting on the injury front. The achilles hurt Sun,Mon,Tues Wed and then calmed down - with plenty of stretching, ice and then eccentric contraction exercise.

Luckily, in a way, I developed a mild virus this week, which limited my training. I had already done slow 10ks on Mon and Tuesday, which weren't helping the achilles, and prob would have continued had the virus not come up.

Sat am I did another slow 10k and felt OK.

Sat night I had a few wines, leaving Sunday morning a 'Should I or Shouldn't I ?' argument as I lay in bed at 6am. Obviously I decided I would.

I arrived early and did 2.5k warmup with some strides at the end. 20 degrees, 85% humidity
Set off mid pack to hopefully force myself not to start too hard

3:50/3:55/3:56/4:00/4:03 to be 19:44(GPS), 19:50(marker) at the halfway point.

Felt pretty awful here and told myself to go til 7k, where you pass the start, and could stop there

3:59/4:00 -still feeling crappy but there came a light sprinkling of rain which cooled things down in the humidity. Managed to forge on a bit longer

4:05/4:05 for the 8th and 9th kms meant I was just under 36min on the GPS, just over on the marker.

I ran the last km in 3:57 and turned into the final 30m with the clock on 39:55.

Finished in 40:02. 10k race, Garmin watch 10.05, Sportstracks (who use a different algorithm) 10.08.
Obviously you always run a bit further than 10k, as the course is measured on the shortest possible route, but 2 seconds off is pretty annoying. Wish I started on the front line!

Anyway - 52km for the week, very light on, hope to do 100k+ this week with the cooler weather.
The sub 40min goal will have to wait a few more months.

4 comments:

Clown said...

Great effort, imagine what you could do without the drinking. Bad luck re the sub 40, so close.

Today and last weeks HM at Marathon Pace should give you a lot of confidence re Canberra and the training you are currently doing. Great news re the achilles.

Will either do Point Walter as a tempo style run or will do normal long run next Sun, will let you know later on in the week.

homo said...

Given how you felt last weekend, being 2 secs off is not all too bad!

Great effort, if not quite what you have been aiming at for some time.

I'm very happy to read that your achilles is ok now.

Just printed out the entry forms for Canberra, just have to get them completed and faxed and we'll be on the board.

I went skydiving today, which explains why I was not there, but I might do what Rob has suggested next Sunday.

trailblazer777 said...

Well done! Great effort despite adversity, and maybe partly because of it. I can relate to the whole balancing enjoying life, with trying to maintain lifestyle that is conducive to optimal running. I enjoyed catching up too.

Thats the spirit just keep on trying to hold the pace for 1 more K, 1 more race, 1 more marathon, 1 more PB and before you know it you have experienced and achieved some special things, which you already have.

Sling Runner said...

Bummer. Almost there ! Perhaps you should do Jonndalup 10k since it is flat as well.