Sunday, February 10, 2008

Injury!

'The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
For nothing now can ever come to any good.'

Sure, W.H.Auden wrote this poem for a funeral, but that's a little how I was feeling today.

Right achilles tendinopathy - first niggle of pain on Sat am run, more marked flare on this mornings run, causing a shortened effort

Potential causes?
  • Overuse
  • Speedwork fri am (although only 2x1k at 4:10 - not that speedy)
  • Changing shoes - varying old 2110, new 2130, new Mizunos
  • Me being a weak old woman
Plan

  • Read everything I can - done/in progress
  • See my podiatrist - book Monday
  • Ice, Ice ,Ice - in progress
  • Stretching regime (Alfredson)
  • Cry uncontrollably for half an hour - done (not really)
  • No running for a few days and miss the 10k race next week - hmm....
Want a reality check about how seriously you take your running, get an injury.
Who knows, I might wake up tomorrow with the pain gone - happened with patellar tendinopathy in the past, but this feels worse.

Anyway, the week in review - only 75.1km @ 4:45

Mon rest
Tues 10.38 @ 4:43
Wed 10.33@ 4:44
Thurs 11.30 @ 4:47
Fri 11.96k @ 4:36 - with 2x1k 4:10s
Sat 10.1 @ 5:19 with brother in law
Sun 21.06 @ 4:33 - HM in 1:35.58, last couple of km at 4:15s, felt great everywhere except achilles.
I'll know a lot more in a week about whether this is me being pessimistic or honest

6 comments:

Clown said...

Epi, lets hope it is just a niggle and you can be back running in a couple of days. Remember this week was going to be an easier week for you anyway, may just mean the 10k is out depending on how you are feeling. You have a few k's in the bank at the moment.

Some info re the achilles, you probably know anyway but can quite often be caused by tight or fatigued calf muscles or inflexible shoes (hopefully pod can help out there). Self massaging of calves and achilles may help as well what you mentioned re ice etc. Best stretch is heel drop.

Anyway, all the best and will email you in a couple of days to see how you are progressing.

Cheers

homo said...

Ouch, the last thing I wanted to read about you.
In one way I'd wish you were a weak old woman, then you could just change into another dress (ok, make that a boy's outfit) and you'd be alright again.
Give yourself time to let it settle, after your hard work in the last weeks you deserve a rest. After all, there are still 9 weeks to go, so plenty of time to fine tune, as long as you don't push yourself too hard.

Fingers crossed!

Sling Runner said...

Bummer. I think it could be due to overuse as you've ramped up your training significantly in the last few weeks. I also notice that your daily runs are quite monotonous in terms of pace (~4:40ish).

Perhaps you should do your easy runs really EASY (e.g. 5:00-5:30) for sufficient recovery or regenerative process and allows you do your hard days HARD.

Hope you'll get well soon.

Epi said...

Thanks guys.
Yes Sling, your advice is good. Unfortunately I seem to be unable to train the way I should at present. I dont seem to be able to do hard sessions in the mornings, but it's too hot to do them in the afternoons, so I end up doing medium paced runs in the mornings. They are very rarely evenly paced though.

I keep waiting for things to cool down to go slower in the mornings and do some tmpos/intervals in the evenings.

Pretty poor excuses I know.

trailblazer777 said...

Yes we all hate injury a lot, I had the same sort of hysterical paranoia when I thought my ankle had gone on me before the Burswood 5k first week of January, but thats the mindset of the true athlete. Goes with the territory. I know you are the Dr, and this might not be applicable with your injury but a serious program of calf raises working towards about 3x30 reps or more daily or similiar has done the trick for Dave and myself when we had achilles issues...May do the same for you. Shoes and overuse often the culprits. Agree with copious amounts of icepacking. Works for almost everything that does.

I'm with Sling Runner, dont run your long runs at near race pace every week, I advise minimum 1 long run per month at a slower pace...I do all or 75% of my long runs at slow pace.

I'm glad I didn't read your blog until today, I might not have turned up at Matilda Bay if I had...

As the others have said, keep eye on the main goal of Canberra, and barring a catastrophe, the rest along the way don't really matter.
keep at it, you have a veyr good foundation in place, and should go really well, to go even better will depend on how the coming month or two goes...

trailblazer777 said...

looks like maybe the worst of the heatwave is over, but if it comes back I'd do reps/intervals at 6am-9am or 7.30pm-9pm (preferably under lights like they seem to have at Noranda track most nights)...