Sunday, August 26, 2007

2007 Perth City to Surf

Finished in 49:55 watch time. 12.05 by garmin, 12.17 by Sportstracks.

Weather conditions were not conducive to a fast time. Heard the winner, brett cartwright, interviewed after the run. He said he feels he is in better form this year compared to last, but finished 90 seconds slower than last year. This provided some succour for me. By that rationale, my time should at least convert to sub 49 on a good day.

Arrived early with Dad, and luckily his work is on St Georges Tce, so stayed in there until 20 min to go, then came out and did about 1.5k warmup with strides. I had an A category start so less crowd to deal with.

The first km was like a wind tunnel, but I benefited from the start being pulled back to allow a bit more flat before the hill. Went through 2k in 8:00, 3k 12:00. Next 3k in 4:06s to be about 20sec behind pace at halfway. Next 3k in 4:10s, and 4:20s for 9-11k, finishing with 3:45pace final km.

I beat 3 of the girls from WAMC who usually would equal or beat me in a 10k over last 2 years, which again suggests I might have performed better than the time suggests.

More importantly I felt great afterwards, jogged to and from the car easily. Did develop some blistering on the balls of my feet. Ran in DS Trainers (used only for about 70k in 12 months), which felt really slippery on the wet road, may have caused me to slightly alter my footstrike. Didn't affect performance but now I do have sore feet

Widi& Rob did the HM and saw me cross the line before jogging back to Perth. Henry did an impressive 58min given next to no training and a crook knee. Passed Jon at 9k, he should have finished HM in 1hr53 or so.

From here I need to do some walking in boots/daypack to prepare for Nepal in 5 weeks, will try to keep 40-60km running a week to still get sub40 at Freo10k. Might jog the PerthHM next weekend depending upon whether my Brotherinlaw wants to do a hill trek instead

3 comments:

WS said...

Congrats on the PB. Hope we can run together at Freo 10k.

trailblazer777 said...

Well Done! Hard-earned.
That sub 48 might happen next year.

All the best with the final prep for the Nepal epic trek!
Hopefully see you at 6-inch if not before, or some other time.

Rich said...

Well done on the run epi! I couldn't make it myself, hopefully I can get to some races later on this yr.