Monday, May 16, 2011

Belated Boston Report

Whoops - belated report from Boston - put it on Strands a while back but neglected here. The delay might indicate that I was a little disappointed:


A belated post on the marathon. Lots of potential excuses for a disappointing performance, but in the end two most likely reasons. 1. Inadequate hill training – thought I was protecting my knee but ended up having my quads give out on me at 32k. 2. Unrealistic pace expectation – for a number of reasons I wont go intoGood conditions on the day as well documented, felt OK. A little jetlagged but i dont think this affected me. Ran pretty steady and at the pace I’d wanted for the first half, but at the first sign of hills knew I was in some trouble.The big difference to last year was that then I was able to maintain a sub 5min/k pace when I ran into trouble. This year my quads cramped rather than hiting the wall per se, and I was reduced to a straight-legged scissor like gait that was so slow walking was nearly as fast. Lots of time was lost.Clearly I was pretty disappointed with the outcome, although my effort was at least as much as last year, so I cant be disappointed about that. I know what I need to do in training to run the marathon faster, but I’m not sure I have the dedication to do it – I certainly don’t at the moment.

3 comments:

DB on the run said...

greetings from europe, well im in bangkok now finally on my way home!

so sorry to hear about your race.
i had one of those days where apart from a minor stich which lingered from about the 18km mark to the finish, i had a flawless race, very happy for sub 3 hours first marathon.

forget marathon for a while but dont forget running. get into some 3/5/10km races! youre primed for a good time!

DB on the run said...

greetings from europe, well im in bangkok now finally on my way home!

so sorry to hear about your race.
i had one of those days where apart from a minor stich which lingered from about the 18km mark to the finish, i had a flawless race, very happy for sub 3 hours first marathon.

forget marathon for a while but dont forget running. get into some 3/5/10km races! youre primed for a good time!

8:40 PM

Epi said...

Congrats on your run dave. Hope europe holiday was a blast!