Sunday, September 19, 2010

Scratching?

I dont think I'll make it to Melbourne.
The last couple of weeks have been very frustrating illness wise - one virus after another, really getting me down physically and emotionally. I took a full week off any running, then did one run and felt worse again later in the day. I've run yesterday and today - beautiful days and felt really good - but so one should, running 10k after a week and a half off!

This leaves me in a quandry. At best I was going to be borderline to run OK at Melbourne, holding out some hope to run with Sling for at least the first 30k of his sub 3hr attempt. This seems off the cards now, perhaps for both of us. My other great fear is that after a winter of recurrent infections, a big effort will lead to another infection in the followup. But I'd like to be there for Clown's birthday, and I haven't had any time off since Boston, so I could do with a little holiday. Switching to the half would be an option, but that's an expensive trip for a non-PB half marathon.

We'll see - luckily the flights can be cancelled right up until the day, and a hotel room shouldn't be too hard to come by at the last minute, so I can reserve judgement for a while.

4 comments:

Sling Runner said...

Hopefully you can defer the decision until the last week or so. Surprisingly, my tempo session today wasn't that 'disastrous'. However, this makes my decision re: 42 or 21 even harder.

Biscuitman said...

Hope you are comfortable with whatever decision you make. There are lots of good shorter races for the remainder of the year if you still want a challenge.

Clown said...

Mate, hope you can have a good couple of weeks and stay well.

trailblazer777 said...

All the best with getting well, and the decisions...really hope you can make it, but if not racing...its obviously not as worthwhile, but I have to say its a totally inspirational event even just to watch, the day the Melbourne Marathon takes over the MCG and the city for a few hours is one special morning! Decastella pep-talking us all at the start last year is something I'll never forget.
Plenty of other good challenges to take on if not a good option. All the best!