Monday, September 27, 2010

No Melbourne, looking ahead

I ended up deciding not to go to Melbourne.
The running's been OK in the first week and a half back, but I don't have a marathon in me physically or mentally.

So moving ahead... my plan is to keep to a lowish 70km per week mileage for the rest of the year. I'll do some shorter stuff - not yet decided if I'll go Masters track ( would be Tues at McGillvray - work late thurs evenings and Coker Park is a bit far), WAMC/JK intervals tues pm, or some self directed track intervals, or maybe a mix of the 3. I might do a couple of WAMC events (perhaps the track 10k), and I'll hopefully do Six Inch again, although I am going to U2 the night before so it may be a challenging run.

I've been thinking about track events and goal times. VDOT seems out of whack for this. Whilst my 3k, 5k, 10k and marathon PBs areall pretty much on a par with VDOT 54.3, and the HM PB a little quicker, these would predict a 73sec 400m, 2:32 800m, 3:13 1000m and 5:01 1500m. These all sound a little slow

At highschool I ran 2:06 for 800m and 4:21 for 1500m, but this seems a litle too fast

Perhaps a 3min 1k (2:22 800, 4:40 1500, 10:00 3000m) is a more challenging goal. Anyone have insight into this?

What I think I might do is head down to the first week of summer masters track next week and do the 1k as a time trial, with pretty much no speed training, so I have a starting point but hopefully still quite a bit of improvement.


Good luck Clown, Sling and TB in Melbourne!

2 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

Duh! Disappointed about the no-Melbourne, but you have to do what works best for you. Probably a wise move.
Hope you do it another year as its a special race IMO, especially for Australian Marathons, although maybe a lot more inspiring for me than many others.
The intervals/short stuff sounds good. Working your shorter stuff then transferring that up to longer races, seems to be one of the most successful approaches out there IMO.

Might have to visit McGillvray some time, although its a long way for me, and at present I'm not anywhere near your level in races...
My 5.34 1500m and 2.46 800m this year shows where I am at these days.
Did 2.23 for 800 5.00 for 1500 and 11.16 for 3000m in 2002-2004 when I last ran track for UWA...
see http://trailblazer777.net/runtrack.html
http://trailblazer777.net/runtrackii.html

Not sure what VDOT is?
I think road is a bit faster than track for surfaces. You can have raw speed, I've run 100m in 14 seconds this year!, and my 800m of 2.46 at masters is 3.28 per K pace), but my best 5k time this year so far is 4.25 per K pace, and my best 10k so far (admittedly injured) 4.41 per K, so its one thing to have raw speed over 800m, another thing to sustain it for 3k/5k,and another ballpark for 10k/Half, and then there is the 42km marathon, and then there is ultras. Each one involves some physiological adjustment, and while a good 1k time will predict a 10k or marathon time to some extent, heaps of factors in doing it over such a range of distances.
I think your 2.22-800m 10.00-3k targets sound good...

trailblazer777 said...

I hope you make it to the 10k track, thats a wonderful race that one. U2/6 inch combination could work, but be very tough to PB off that lead-in...Good that you are getting some good target thoughts in motion, all the best with the new regime!