Sunday, September 07, 2008

Recovering

The virus which shouldn't have affected my City to Surf performance ended up being the worst illness I've ever had. The initial illness ran like a usual virus - felt sick Wed, Thurs, FRi, improving Saturday. I'm not sure if it was specifically the run on sat am - only did 12k at 5min/k, but Mon am I woke with a sinus and middle ear infection. I thought I've had sinus infections before but obviously never a real one. I didn't leave the front door of the house for 6 days - unheard of. ( Didn't drink alcohol for 2 weeks - even more unheard of!!!). The only positive is that I have gained some empathy for patients going through this.

This week I returned to work, finished a 10 day course of antibiotics, but still felt congested and blocked in the ears

4 runs this week - 6k, 9k,9k and 13k today - all slow with walks in the middle. Whilst enjoying being out there, 5min/k feels like hard work - I'm hoping that will quickly catch up to normal.

Races and speed sessions are on the backburner for now - just want to build up over 2 weeks to daily 10k runs. I have 2 trips to Melbourne in the next 4 weeks as part of a new position - staying next to the Botanical Gardens, so hopefully I can do a couple of runs of the famous Tan track.

We'll see how things go but I might dump my plans of 5k/10k PBs in coming months and just slowly build up the mileage, with April in mind (having second thoughts about Boston and thinking about Canberra again)

I hope Clown and Homo's next posts have the same title as this one! (copycats)

2 comments:

Sling Runner said...

That's a bummer. A PB for C2S this year was a given considering your improvement in the last 12 months or so. Hope you'll get well soon.

trailblazer777 said...

Get well soon, and hope you enjoy some time on the Tan...I'll be having a run on the Tan also between 10/10-13/10 for my 2008 tilt at the Melbourne Marathon again. All the best with getting back on track...