Sunday, September 14, 2008

Easy Does It

50k week this week

I payed for the hilly 13k last Sunday with bilateral hamstring strains. This might have been a blessing in disguise, though, because I was forced to go slowly on my Tues and Wed pm runs so as not to hurt them more.

Friday morning I was starting to feel better and I ran a 10k progression, finishing the last 2k in 4:10s - which was a tempo pace effort. Friday afternoon at work my throat got sore again and I was cursing myself for pushing too hard. Luckily I worked all day Saturday and didn't run, and the flare up disappeared.

This morning I went out and tried to do a gentle long run. I stopped at 18k due to lateral left hip pain (?ITB or referred glut medius pain), but was still happy with an increase.

Not decided about Freo Half now - only get back from Melbourne on Friday night. Don't want to do the 5k, but if I do the Half would try to hold back to 1:35 or so.

We'll see how the body feels over the course of the week.

Thanks Homo for dinner Thursday - I'll repay the favour when you go sub 3:20 in Berlin!!!

4 comments:

homo said...

Just take it easy, not every race has to be a PB.

All my pleasure on Thursday. Both you and Clown are egging me on with offers for dinner if I make the Boston time.
Dinner in Boston then?

Thanks for the support and talk soon!

trailblazer777 said...

Good to hear you are back running, and hope you can ease back into it without any major injury issues.

Sometimes its just best to enjoy the racing experience and not worry about the time too much, probably we all should do that more actually. That was the story for me at City to Surf this year.
However you might find that on the day you feel ready for a PB things can change very quickly...

Sling Runner said...

With the hammy and hip issues, running the race at all out effort might not be a good option. Perhaps do the 5k at tempo effort or do the 21k at around MP.

homo said...

Epi - Ich habe keine Ahnung, but just in case, I am having one sent to my own phone to find out!