Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Canberra marathon

Quick post from Melbourne before my US holiday

Great run, 3:14 finished with Rob. Took some time to get to the start line but my chip obviously didn't record as they gave me my gun time.

Arrived Friday pm, had pasta dinner with Rob
Saturday am did 4k easy over part of the course. Pasta dinner with Rob, Tracey, Henry and his family.

Unfortunately got separated from Rob at the start - due to a late toilet stop. I started quite far back near the 3:15 pacer, and thought I'd stay with him and see Rob out there.

The pacer went out hard, doing some 4:15s in the 5-10k section to get to 10k under 45. At this point I caught Rob and we decided to fall behind the pacer.

We hit very solid 4:33-4:38 pace throughout the 10-35k section, in at times heavy rain on a flat road course around Lake Burley Griffin.

Things got tough at 36k or so with cramping quads, adductors and calves. Luckily Rob held back a bit and ran with me. We didn't drop pace and finished in 4:29,4:35 for the final 2k. Slowest km of the race was a 4:45 besides the first km, so very pleased

Time gone, update later

2 comments:

Sling Runner said...

Craig,

Great effort and a big congrats for a humungus PB.

I cna see it coming judging from your mileage and average training pace.

When is your next race?

Have a gud holiday.

Cheers

trailblazer777 said...

Congratulations! Well done on a well deserved PB and on going sub 3.15!!! Have to say 2008 has been a successful year so far after that? Be interesting to see if the excellent progression continues even further, considering we are only a third of the way through the year.

Sounds like a nice course. Those big city marathons are great with their pacers and stuff but the crowds at the start are a bit of a hassle, especially re gun time etc...Probably even more so with the really! big ones like Paris,
New York,London,Chicago,Boston etc? I'm guessing theres a strong chance you'll be doing one of those some day...