Sunday, March 11, 2007

Darlington HM

Was a little concerned at the start today - there was a strong easterly and we ran directly into it and up the hill for the first 10k. The outcome was a 4 minute negative split!

First 5k in 22:52 (about 4:35/k)
Second 5k in 22:23 (about 4:30/k)
Third 5k in 20:53(about 4:10/k)
Fourth 5k in 20:33(about 4:07/k)

Finished the 21.2k as per garmin in 1:31.41

Four minutes faster than last year and a final 10k which was faster than my straight 10k time from Matilda Bay

Still a long way out from the Marathon, TS&TFs exercise physiology test reminds me I need to focus on distance not speed for a while now, if I want to not hit the wall like I have in my first 2 marathons.

2 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

Well done again!
I caught up with TS & TF briefly yesterday we were both running with the WAMC hills group in Darlington...

I was thinking about maybe coming to do the 8km in darlington today but decided I needed to catch up on sleep instead today.

I think those gusty easterlys might be slightly related to the cyclones up north. Darlington Half is famous for that neg split.

All the best with getting the distance and speed balance right.

WS said...

Great run! Probably you could have gone sub 90 today if the course was flat. I think you are not far away from 2006's mid-year shape. By the way, I did my sub40 10K two months after a 1:31 in Perth HM. So you are on a right track.