Saturday, November 09, 2013

ParkRun

A bit of a last minute decision to pop down to ParkRun Claisebrook this morning for a 5k race.

Got down half an hour early and did about a 6k warmup. There was a light Easterly but didn't really notice it.

My plan was to go comfortably hard, but ended up going harder than that. Unfortunately I forgot my watch, so just ran by feel. The bigger issue was that no-one took it out and I found myself leading after the first corner. i spent the first 2k with the footsteps of 2nd in my ears and went too quick. he passed me just before the turnaround and after that it was really a matter of holding on.

Definitely lost time in the last couple of km - no splits but lost 20sec on the winner in the second half of the race.

Nonetheless I finished with 17:18 - new 5k PB and perhaps something to build on if I get around to some speedwork in the next month

4k cooldown and I felt pretty good afterwards - driving down to dwellingup for a recon of the altered course of Six Inch trail next month tomorrow morning (going to be an early one!).

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

Congratulations on the 5k PB and a good one too only 18 seconds shy of the 17.00 Clown was chasing earlier this year, and maybe with the watch you would have been a bit quicker, with slightly more efficient pace regulation, but sounds like a trailblazing style run, and its very good to return to running by feel sometimes. Well done!!! I'll have to make my Parkrun debut some day. Sounds like the 6 inch recon went excellent too. Looks like its the beginning of a yet another new era in 6 inch history as the first decade of the race approaches, the first major course adjustment occurs, and sold out entry caps start to become the norm. A few more red spikes start to be earned, with Nathan and myself the only ones so far I think. Am happy we have some early information available on what the new course change might mean for us on race day available a month in advance. Sounds like you are still riding a significant improvement curve in the longer races as well as the short stuff. Way to go!!!