Monday, June 04, 2012

2 weeks to go & Lake Gwelup Fun Run

1st taper week of 118k - shows how my perception of mileage has changed this year - previously this would be peak mileage.

Mon am 10k recovery @4:44 - tired legs from race
Tues am 16k - supposes to be with 5x800m at 5k pace but only managed 10k pace with legs still heavy
Tues pm 10k easy @4:42
Wed am 21k medium long @4:42
Thurs 12k with 8x100m strides
Fri 11k easy - legs feeling normal again
Sat 28k@4:19 with Simon & Rob - did the last 5k@4:05s - felt good
Sun pm 10k easy@4:40

Monday Public Holiday (now 'WA day') Lake Gwelup Fun Run
As noted last year, this is the fun run of the primary school near my practice, and the site of my only funrun victory (last year). There is some pride involved, although this year I was feeling a little cautious not to injure myself.
Legs felt a bit flat after still a 118k week and a pm run yesterday.

Ran out a bit more controlled than last year and found myself 5th at halfway, but just in 3rd when 2 of them veered to the 3k finish. A long way in front was Sam Maxwell - one of the orange singletted young runners seen at the front of perth's big funruns. he was clearly a class above me, finishing a minute ahead. I pushed into second early on the second lap before hitting the traffic of the one-lap walkers - I seemed to run into more of them this year, as well as having to contend with some trash talking by one of my teenage patients! Despite this i was never challenged by those behind me a cruised into second place in 22:02 - 5 seconds faster than last year (although my pace was much more even this year). i did have a little skirmish with the race officials at the finish - at the end of the first lap we were supposed to grab a black wristband from an official to prove we didn't chest and run one lap. Unfortunately I didn;t grab mine properly and it fell to the ground - this was just the time i was making my move and I wasn't about to stop and go back to get it. At the finish they didn't want to record me as finishing - in the end this might have been better as I sat around for an hour and a half to collect a certificate.(Perhaps a hanson moment on my behalf)

Now for a bit more tapering - 89k week with only a 3x1600m quality session and some strides.

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

Looking good...I'm "tapering too" for once...You certainly have that mileage at a higher level this year. Well done on the funrun time improvement. One of my Uni friends works at that school. Have to laugh about the trashtalk...How close are you to Spartan status? Are you going for 8 in a row this weekend? If so you are the same as Kevin as he is also going for his 8th one. I'm going for number 9 so edging closer to those blue spartan numbers, and hopefully its also PB time...All the best!