Sunday, June 12, 2011

1 week 'til Perth Marathon

78k this week
Mon 6k race as previously documented
Tues am 10.1k @ 4:29- last 5k of city to surf 12k course and back
Tues pm 7.8K @ 4:36 - had a jog/chat with DB prior to his interval session
Wed pm 13k @ 4:24 - Bold Park loop
Fri am 10k @ 4:18 - as per Tues
Sat am 10.9k @ 4:18 - challenge funrun loop
Sun pm 14.9k @ 4:23 - Bold Park loop

I must admit to having some second thoughts re Perth Marathon - I have done one run over 20k in the 8 weeks since Boston, and although I've got great remnant 10k pace, I'm not sure about endurance. Add to that my little sister's 21st B'Day dinner the night before the marathon.

But two things bring me back to doing it. Number one is I still want to do 10 years straight (this will be 7). Number 2 is that Sling is making the journey from Singapore, despite significant injury, and so if he can get up to run it, I damn well should be able to drive the 15minutes to run with him! HTFU Epi.

I know even if I dont run well I'll be happy to have been out there a part of it, whereas if I dont, I'll likely regret it. And I'm certainly not discounting the possibility of a sub 3 if I have good day - my short distance form is good enough and you dont really lose much fitness in a few weeks of reduced mileage.

DB has told me there are a couple of others interested in heading out at a 4:10min/km pace - including Tony Stahl who DB tells me is pretty obsessive with keeping to exactly to his planned splits - so hopefully there'll be a bit of a 'bus' going at least for the first 30k.

The running itself has been very pleasant, played some tennis as part of my goal to de-prioritise running in my life, and apart from a bit of persistent left hammy soreness the body feels good. The knee continues to be behaving, thus my continued hilly runs through Bold Park or if in the dark along the last 5k of the City to Surf 12k course and back (up over the oceanic dr hill).

No comments: