Sunday, January 31, 2010

Ready and raring to go

OK - 17 days since the surgery, ready to go.

Stitches came out on Tuesday, have done some crosstrainer, water running, and a little exercise bike (although this still hurts a bit at the point of maximum flexion).

I can hear you all asking - have you run? Of course I've tried! I have little self control. So much so that I told the trainer at the gym to pull me up if he saw me trying to run on the treadmill this week. I did and he did.(I didn't get far before he noticed)

The wound which leaked has healed, but the area still balloons out when I do a ew minutes on the crosstrainer. Strapping it helps a little.

This week I intend to start some gentle running. I'll try to stick to treadmill initially, then some grass running down near Steve's, progressing to flat running on the path around the river. Hills will have to wait.

I've drawn up a fairly conservative return to running schedule,

Feb Wk 1 20k 4x5k
Feb wk 2 30k 4 runs, long 10
Feb wk 3 40k 4 runs long 12
Feb wk4 50k 5 runs long 15
Mar wk1 60k 5 runs long 18
Mar wk2 70k 6 runs long 21
Mar wk3 80k 6 runs long 25
Mar wk4 85k 6 runs long 30
Mar5,Apr1 90k 6 runs long 32

April wks 2 and 3 taper

Looking at it, maybe not so conservative. I suspect I'll be keen to do more in weeks 2 and 3, but then may be hit quite hard by the progressive mileage increase thereafter. I intend to make marathon goal pace 4:30s for now, and may not do anything faster than MP, certainly not in the first 5 weeks. If I'm training well and the knee is good I woud rather start adding in hills at MP at that point rather than tempos.

The only race I'll consider doing is Dalington half - my long run should be up to 21k that weekend and if things are good I'd look at doing it in 95.

Anyway, these plans are almost certain to change to some extent - but it's nice to have some direction.

In preparation I've been looking for running shoes. I've decided despite many pairs of shoes, they are all wrong or worn out, and I'm going back to Asics2130 exclusively. So I've been watching out for a bargain.

Back when we were down south at NewYear I found a pair my size at the Dunsborough sports store for $120, but since couldn't find any my size in Perth, only 2140/2150s. Then I noticed you could buy 2 pairs womens 2130s for $100 at JimKidd - WTF. I did some research, wnt down and am now the proud owner of 2 pairs size 12 (equiv mens 10.5) wide womens 2130s. They are a couple of mm narrower in the toe box but otherwise pretty much exactly the same as he mens.
I did need to get out the black laundry marker and make the colour scheme a little more masculine, but I'm keen to get out and try them.

It's a bit weird. I've read that more womens then mens running shoes are sold in Australia, but they obviously like buying new. Another example was DS trainers, never on sale in mens ($220) were $109 in womens!

But I digress. Hopefully a positive post next week about how well I've coped with returning to running!

(PS - I've enrolled for the Mona training weekend)

3 comments:

Clown said...

That's great news on the running and sounds like a solid plan. All the best with you easing into it this week.

Love the 2130's, hate the 2140's and haven't tried the 2150's. Will stock up on some more 2130's at some point.

Great to see you've enrolled for Mona's camp, should be a great weekend.

Biscuitman said...

I like your plan - don't lock it in though - you may wish to consolidate somewhere between some of your week targets for a couple of weeks depending on how you are going.

Did I see you near the Brewery on Sunday morning? I was riding past with a mate and thought I saw you at the drink fountain there.

Hopefully I'll see you at the Mona training camp.

trailblazer777 said...

Sounds good...I saw that 2 for $100 deal at Jimkidds yesterday too...I generally get all my shoes from them purely cos their *price* and range is pretty good...

Hope you are patient, and have no hiccups in the healing process, if there is you just have to throttle back and gradually build up again...sounds like you are ready to ease into it again, hopefully you will ease into it, even though the mind will want to go flat out into it.
Hopefully by weeks 3 or 4 you can maybe step up the volume and intensity a bit more than planned.

I'm intrigued by the MONA camp, but financially,logistically and time commitment wise, its probably un-achievable for me, although if there is still a few spots left closer to the date (unlikely), and I can raise the funds I might try and sign up...

All the best with getting the 2010 plans going again!