Sunday, February 15, 2009

Matilda Bay 10k

Very light week this week, not specifically intended to be a taper, rather workload with meetings and some evening call-outs limiting my running. I had my first non running day after 42 straight on Tuesday thanks to an early morning meeting and an evening callout.

Mon 6k@5:07 recovery
Wed 13.2k@4:43 progression
Thurs 10.7k@4:39 easy
Friday 10.1k@4:28 progression to tempo pace
Saturday11.2k@4:45 easy (plus 700m @5k pace)

Sunday 13k total

about 19 degrees and 95% humidity, but luckily no wind to speak of

Felt heavy in the legs this morning - but I must admit to never feeling particularly lively before a race.
Started reasonably controlled in 3:37 and found myself just ahead of Chris Maher, who subsequently ran on my shoulder until 9.75k - this was a blessing as it kept me going.

3:36/3:47/3:51/3:51/3:54 (19:01) but went past 5k marker at 19:10
3:49/3:50/3:52/3:50/3:43 (38:09) plus 80m

Passed the line in 38:21 (more than a minute PB)

Very happy with the run - obviously painful but breathing was good first 8k, only the shins complaining a bit. Went into the red zone in the final 2k, passing 2 guys and being passed by then re-taking Chris to finish first in my little group. Really happy with the even pace in the 3-9k section.

Chatted to Rob afterwards then had to rush home to get my wife to the airport for a little Melbourne shopping holiday - leaving me a week to be able to do some late evening runs if necessary to fit around work and therefore hopefully fit in a bigger week.

I was going to go out for a pm run, but with that long awaited PB done, I decided to treat myself!

5 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

Congratulations on the huge PB! more proof of you being at a higher level this year. way to go! just over 20 seconds improvement and you will officially be an A-grader...some positive write-up in the latest issue of R4YL about your sub 4 6 inch too.
Everyone had better watch out cos Epi is coming by the sounds of things, and the way its looking most of us will be eating your dust this year...well done!

Sling Runner said...

Epi, congrats on the big PB! It seems all the hard training has paid off.

I believe you are now a sub-3 equivalent based on the 10k time.

Anonymous said...

Great run Epi...38 mins is my goal for my attempt at Sub 3:00 hr in July.

Again well done I'm envious.

Gunner

Clown said...

You're flying, great effort. Mark down Lake Monger as the sub 38 day.

DC64 said...

Great to see you get some of that great training form into the race result column. The way you were going at intervals last night tells me you're not done yet!