Sunday, October 28, 2007

Life return to normal

Back from Nepal for a week. It was certainly everything I expected and more - great weather, great trekking, great views, no illnesses or injuries of note. Some photos are on my facebook account.

I've bee for 3 runs since returning, and they showed what I should have expected. 5 weeks no running (2 post wisdom teeth and 3 in Nepal) but good aerobic fitness.

My first run I went out feeling great and my legs died after 5km - cramped up in the quads. Hobble around for a couple of days then did a slower 10k - again muscleds ached. Today did 12k circuit. Initially hamstings were so tight thought they'd snap, then about 8k the quads cramped up again.

So a reminder that walking training is pretty useless for running - different muscles. With lots of extra oxygen carring capability the breathing is fine, but the muscles can't keep up.

I think I'll revert to slow runs 50-60k per week in the next 4 weeks, if all is well will build up a long run or two and plan to hit 6 inch in december. Thought I might do a recon run over part of the course on the weekend of 10th/11th November as my wife will be away.

New marathon to add to the wish list -Everest Marathon!! Looks great, only issue is allowing a couple of weeks there in advance to acclimatise.

3 comments:

homo said...

Must have been quite an experience - and the altitude hasn't scared you off the Everest marathon! That would give the marathon experience just another edge, wouldn't it?
I wonder how long the aerobic benefits will last. You'll need to let us know - Widi would probably know the ins and outs of it and be happy to explain, pity he has left now.
I was tempted to say I'd recon the 6-inch with you, but I am nowhere near any decent pace or distance and am still taking it quite easy.
I'll try to show up on a couple of club races before the end of the year.
See you there!

Sling Runner said...

I always felt crap everytime I returned from a long lay-off. Three weeks off w/o running is not too bad given you did some streneous trekking. I had 5 weeks off for honeymoon in May and it took me around 8 weeks to get back to original level. I'd say after around 3 weeks of easy/moderate running, you'll be firing up all cylinders again.

trailblazer777 said...

Awesome stuff Epi. In awe. Keen to see photos, will have to get facebook details from you. Maybe you can email 'em to me.
Everest marathon hey...

I came across a bloke from Charlotte Running (USA) who did the Antartica Marathon in well under 2.30 (he won it). My brother put me onto his shop website.

I agree with what Widi says re 3 weeks and you will get the right muscles firing again. I suspect the aerobic benefits will be significant and my best guess is they will last you at least 4-12 weeks if you do the right things to hold onto them.

Walking training is not useless, in my opinion, its just that you also need to work the right muscles with some more specific running training as well if you want to run anything over 10km in a decent time. depends on your residual strength built up over many years too...
So walking is good for the aerobic side of things, just like altitude,swimming,cycling,surfing,tennis, squash,football,rugby and any other sport with a reasonable intensity. So any of these as a cross training option for say 50% to 75% of your training can work, but 25% to 50% of your training must! be running in order to get the muscle specific gains as you have found out firsthand.

Great to hear 6-inch is still in the cross-hairs. Looks like yourself,Jamesy and Nathan could be battling it out for 3rd spot the way the field is shaping up so far. I have to help out WAMC on Sunday 11th Nov 7am-9am with Founders 10miler at Perry Lakes, but any other time that weekend I would be keen to join you for that Recon run!