Sunday, February 19, 2006

Winding up the mileage

Trained my longest week thus far - 80km.

Spurred on by the discussion re Lydiard and base training on Coolrunning, I ran everything at aerobic pace - to allow myself to go further - especially as I broke the 10% rule (dont increase mileage by more than 10 percent per week). I did change my routine however, and ran 40km of the week on hilly terrain around Bold Park, rather than the flat stuff I've been doing so far this year to protect my ITBS. I must admit it felt great to surge up and ease down the hills compared with the monotonous single pace of my runs round Herdsman or the river.

Thursday I ran 2 sessions - 9.3km morning, 10km evening - a first for me. I ran 21km on saturday in 2hrs. Was thinking about extending to 2 and a half, but a little niggle in the left lateral thigh made me think better of it - can gradually push up that distance.

I bought a new pair of GT2100s on Friday, decided to stick to what works. I know you can run a long way in shoes, but the very first run feels fantastic - so cushioned.

So the key now is to consolidate the increase in distance, and add in a harder session next week. I also have to decide whether to run Neil Hawkins 10k (Sunday) or not. On one hand I'd like to have another 10km hitout, on the other I want distance again this week. Work prevents me from running my long run on a weekday. Running the 10k at less than full effort is not something I am able to do! and I cant run a long one the day before and back up. I had said I wouldnt start base training til March, but now feels like the time to continue my momentum and focus on the goal in July.

Finally this week will be full of expectation for the garmin Forerunner 305. Almost certainly wont arrive this week but may get notification of it being sent from the US. Cant wait to watch my pace and chart my distances (although I do that by hand with Google Earth already) Interestingly I am far less intent on my HRs whilst training compared to last year, although I still wear my HRM. I think that last year it was a matter of forcing myself not to overtrain. Now I know my paces and efforts better I need it less. The only two times I really heeded its input this year were 1. On the really humid morning when my HR was so high for the speed and 2. When I was sick (although I didnt heed it, pushed on and got worse).

Last week of the Ricky Gervais (BritishComedy) podcast this week - will have to return to music or nothing - it was great to laugh out loud during runs, although passers-by must have thought me a psycho!

2 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

with the races versus long run dilemma...one way is to run the 10km race in the am and do a slow low intensity long run--say 12km-25km...(heart rates 120-140) in pm (or in the winter straight after your race), it makes for a tough double session day...that said i dont think i will be doing neil hawkins....

well done on the 44.04, thats a reasonable start to the year...my next goal is to go sub 22 maybe sub 21 for the swan twilight 5km...

trailblazer777 said...

way to go Epi...I have checked out the pedometer you mentioned...I think the 10% rule mainly applies to beginners, and you are well past that stage, although its always a good idea to keep an eye on the overtraining side of things, I think its more important to periodize i.e. throw in an easy week at least 1 week out of every 4 weeks of training, and have 2-4 rest weeks during the year where you pretty much dont train...(except maybe a very cruisy and shortish long run...

think my scarp expedition was a little crazy, dont plan on doing that too often...but it was good for me...