Sunday, April 02, 2006

ASICS Bridges Fun Run

Went low volume, high intensity this week - perhaps shouldnt have as felt leaden in the legs in the second half of the week

Wasnt expecting much this am after a saturday wine tasting turned into wine guzzling, and left me with a mild hangover

For once I arrived early and actually did some warmup running! Perfect conditions and flat course looked good.

As usual I started too hard - 3:50 then 4:09 kms, felt the shins ache and got worried. Managed to hold on and pull back a little - went through 5k in 20:51. The next 3k were a matter of keeping tough and in rhythm - averaged 4:21 for these 3 although was thrown by the 7k marker being in the wrong spot. There was a lot more people passing and being passed than in previous runs this year where people seemed to get into pace order pretty quick.

By 8k I started to feel good, the shins went back to normal and I finished in 4:11 and 4:02 to cross the line in 42:12 - better than I'd hoped for.

I stayed and watched the presentations, which went on far too long for my mind - dont see the need for top 10 placegetters male and female plus all age group placegetters to come up individually - should be top 3 total and winner of age groups. Others could collect their prize privately. It was nice to put names to the faces of the top runners, and some of the age group runners who are around my pace.

Saw TB in the start crowd but never saw him again - either well ahead or always behind me.

So I'm happy with my progress - improving and on track with TNTRs last year times which I use as a guide. Will now focus on long and slow/some threshold to save the shins and prepare for mara 06.

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

Well done! another excellent progression!

The concrete on the bridges can hammer the shins a bit...

You must have been about 7 seconds ahead at the 1km mark (I tried to be a little more conservative in my start) before my race went down the toilet a bit...

The sub 3.30 beckons, and we are getting close to the make or break times of May & June now...The time to get really serious is now approaching...