Sunday, March 12, 2006

John Forrest X Country

I said i wouldnt but I did run this one. Felt a bit flu'ey Saturday so didnt do long run - instead wine tasting and watchng the Dockers lose.

This morning I spent 30 mins in bed arguing over whether I should get up and run - finally did after remembering a quote from CoolRunning site - you never end up regretting going for a run, only if you dont.

The weather was perfect, for a 12.7km off road run with a killer hill nicknamed Old Faithful. The run was handicapped - I went off mid field at 15min50, and started strong, being especiallt brave down the hills. By 35min I had passed everyone but one runner, although I didnt realise this. I kept thinking how long I could hold on til the fast guys passed me. 36 min a guy flew past and said 'dont worry' as he went by - obviously wasnt running the 12.7k because 5 mins later another guy came past - the eventual winner.

I walked a small section of the big hill, but still gradually caught up to the eventual third placegetter, passed him and held on to finish at a steady pace. I waited for the footsteps of the faster handicapped runners, but they never came, and I was relieved to finish second.

Time 57:14 by the watch - 4:30 pace, good for a hilly off roader. This was still a touch slower than my first two runs, so I was surprised to finish second, thought more people would run to their handicap!

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

Well Done Epi! excellent run. I did 58.17 last year, a few weeks before I ran a 44min40 in the Bridges 10km....so 57 is a decent time on that course.

I watched Freo blow their chance to get a shot at some silverware by not manning up enough in the last quarter also....

My handicap was 20min 11 but after my sleep in, and rush to get there ( I also had to talk myself into turning up) I ended up staring off at 16min 11 handicap. Took it easy for a training run though cos of previous day (see my blog)...

That Cool Running quote sounds like a good one! I may do the 8km at Darlington, but probably not going to do the Half (but could change my mind) cos I dont want to do too much as I am flying to Melbourne that evening to go watch the Commwealth Games...plus not sure I am ready for a good half yet..should tape CG marathon too...