Sunday, October 05, 2008

Go The Tan Redux

Two weeks later, back in Melbourne for a conference, and a couple more Tan runs.

In between, things weren't so great. I had another mini relapse of my 'flu, with another week off running. Only now a full 6 weeks after the illness do I feel fully recovered (finally!)

So this past week I yet again started back in a gentle way with about 50k of running.

Saturday morning there happened to be a Victorian Road Runners club run at the tan, so I shook off my hangover and headed down - there were about 100 people, with the option to do 4k or 8k (they added a litle section to get the track up to a full 4k)

I decided to do the one lap. Started at the back to force myself not to start too fast, and it worked to a degree with a 3:40 first km. 3:48 second km, then up the hill in the third 4:08, and final km 3:47.
Finished in 15:32 - quite happy with this hard but not all out effort.

Once again the plan is to gradually build up the distance without going too fast - lets see how it goes.

5 comments:

Clown said...

Epi, Good to see you are back on track, nice run Sat morning.

Time to start slowly building up these long runs Sun am.

Cheers

Sling Runner said...

That's a good time for 4k given the long hill and sandy surface.

Also, you had a lot of time away from running, which made 15:32 commendable.

Clown said...

Meant to ask you, do you know what the footballers do the Tan in?

I was also quite shocked to see the best results this year for the 3km trial at the draft camp were 10.15 and then 10.27, I thought they would have been a bit quicker, although having said that I don't know whether they had other endurance tests on the same day beforehand.

trailblazer777 said...

Great running!!! I'll be on the Tan this week hopefully. Hope you can figure out whats triggering the flu-like symptoms, and eliminate it. 2009 could be a big! year. Wonder what your new marathon goal will be now that you have achieved the sub 3.15, or is that fast enough?

Epi said...

Thanks guys,

Clown - appears the good AFL guys run around 13min for the tan (which is 3.82k - so I probably did about 14:50).Mottram did 10:08!

TB - My ultimate goal for '09 is still sub3hrs, the last year of my original 5 year plan. Got some work to do!