Sunday, May 14, 2006

Some promising signs

Increased the training gradually this week - a tempo, two recovery runs and a long run.

33k yeaterday - quite warm at 4pm when starting, cooled down gradually. Took it very easy - about 3hrs for the 33km. ITBS OK, interestingly the ache was all on the other side, maybe compensation for wearing the Patstrap on the right. Gluteus medius left hurt, radiating down he leg, but settled. Was a struggle after 27k, and felt nowhere near as good as my last 2 30+k runs.

Not sure where this leaves me form wise - think I was falsely confident after the 20miler, perhaps too negative when faced with my injury, and now should get back to my original goals, not expect too much too soon. I started the year aiming sub330, should be happy to continue with that goal.

On the downside my Garmin 305 died last night. Hoping to have a quick replacement if its not something fixable myself.

Thanks to ProgressionRun and TB for words of encouragement - I use both your blogs as sources of motivation.

2 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

Thankyou also Epi...Its amazing what a difference a few days of taking it easy can make. Your theory about the other leg compensating for the intrusion of the Patt strap sounds very plausible/likely to me...

IMO a run like your 32k is likely to take a fair bit out of you, and if it was me, I'd be looking to take it easy on my long runs especially for a week or three after the 32k race. However some people like to flog themselves over long distances more regularly...

IMO one shouldnt do too many races over more than about 21km-25km as the marathon gets closer, and thats even without the injury risks.
...as long as you can keep the ITBS from flaring up a sub 3.20-3.30 is still very much a good target for you IMO especially based on the 32k time...
Hopefully see you at Freo HM...

trailblazer777 said...

just to clarify; avoiding races over 30k in the month before the marathon doesn't mean you can't do long slow runs over 30-40k. The long slow run and the long fast race are two different things physiologically, both of value, but one takes more out of the body in the short term than the other...