Sunday, May 07, 2006

I.T.B.S is back

It's back

The twinge on sunday post 32k became an inability to walk by lunchtime - ITBS.
Last year post mara this took 8 weeks to go away, then 2 more months to build up to >12k runs!Serves me right for running so hard last week. Should have made it a firm training run not an all out attack.

So, knowing the cause, I was aggressive - Ice, stretching, self massage with roller, and Pattstrap all day. Monday pain was still there with walking, Tuesday only with stairs. Wed night 30 min run with strap OK, Thurs 40min easy, Sat 80min easy, sun 35 min mara pace - no acute pain with any, but I knew it was there, still sore with stairs.

Where to now? I will run the marathon at (almost) any cost - would even have a cortisone injection if I needed to. Plan is gradual mileage buildup, no LT for this week, try a 25+km flat on the weekend, and pray!

I think the goals may need to be pulled back, but if I can nurse myself through, a sub330 mara is still on the cards. Post mara I can deal with at the time.

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

Hey Epi hard luck with the ITB...All the best with getting it under control...The sub 3.30 is probably still yours if you can just avoid over stressing it and just keep the important sessions going.

Some advice from my experience (which could be wrong or right);
In my case with my achilles and now knee issues, and lots of other stuff to try and organise, I have downsized my training to two base must-do weekly sessions; Priority 1. a long one of 2-3 hours or more AND Priority 2. A high intensity 45 minutes-90 minutes session to keep speed and anaerobic fitness on track.

If I miss 1 week thats ok, but missing two weeks in a row is to be avoided! Plus don't be afraid to use some crosstraining instead of only doing running. In my case its cycling, but swimming or other sports, gym etc even hiking... can work good too.

The sub 3.30 is still in range...maybe even the sub 3.20 or better...

Also keep in mind that these injury concerns are like bumps in the road, in a few days or the following week it might be fine again, especially if you apply good treatment aggressively, and rest from running...
Alright I'll shut up now....*LOL* :-)