Sunday, May 28, 2006

Challenge 10k

It was a very light training week thanks to a gastro bug which had me V&D all night thursday night and off work friday, only started feeling good Sat am. Two others at work had the same and called me up to say it was the worst they ever had! Perhaps my fitness this year helped me recover more rapidly.

So it was an enforced taper for the Challenge 10k, and I wanted to take advantage. I've had a thing about testing my mental toughness ever since I had to start walking 20k into a long run several weeks back. So I went out hard and wanted to make sure I didn't give up.

Woke at 6, had honey on toast (am liking the honey as sports 'gel' currently), coffee and arrived 730. Did 3km warm up which is unusual for me, with several strides.

New 305 isnt here yet so remembered splits were - 3:48, 4:04, 4:02, 4:03, 4:03 to be exactly 20min at halfway. Then a 4:14, 4:12, 4:10, 4:09, 4:06 to finish in 40:51.

Very happy with the run, exceeded my expectations and makes me feel much more confident about the 2006 sub40min goal. I did give it absolutely everything though, and initial plans of a Widi style long recovery run disappeared. I put on the skins and rested.

Nice to meet Rob again after the run, I suspect we'll be finishing the Mara in similar times. Well done TB for getting back into running training.

Final long run next weekend, and hopefully a high mileage week to make up for this one.

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

Congrats! on a great 10k!
10 seconds under my PB...(from 98)
...
Epi...lookin good now for the big ones; the Freo Half and the the Perth M!