Sunday, May 23, 2010

Run for No Reason

Back on the road this week after my month off to allow my stress fracture to heal

The leg isn't normal yet, but the deep bone pain has gone and it now just feels like an adductor strain . I am stretching and strengthening ( I'm getting some funny looks walking corridors at work sideways)

Ran HBF Run For a Reason today - paced my Brother in law to go sub 5min kms - did 1:11:15 for 14.59k - so under target pace by about 2 minutes.

It was interesting to run a race so comfortably - it provided a different perspective.

I went to pick up my number and was given a category B bib as they ran out of category A ones. At the start line 2 separate officials interrogated me about why I was in the A corral with a B bib, and they got narky when I told them to bugger off! ( I may have been a bit rude)

I was interested to see Sugar and B'Man say the km markers were off - I found the first 5 were exactly in sync with my Garmin - but then the garmin went haywire through the tunnel so I wasnt sure about the rest. Having said that they seemed pretty good to me as we stayed a pretty constant amount below the target times through each marker.

I felt so good at the end I jogged the 8k home .It ended up a nice, if very slow, 22k for the day, and the first time since Boston that I've felt any real comfortable rhythm in my running - perhaps all is not lost!

54k for the week at 4:45

In terms of plan from here - still not sure. I feel like I have the angel on one shoulder saying don't run Perth because I'll be markedly underdone and injure myself, and the devil on the other saying I should run my sixth consecutive Perth to keep the series going. Luckily at the moment the angel is winning (It's like having Barlow on one shoulder and Tom Swift on the other - one a winner and the other a talentless hack! - I'm sure Clown knows what I mean)

I'm thinking maybe Melbourne (the marathon, not the club)

3 comments:

DC64 said...

Good to see you back on the road and relatively pain free. I think the first markers were OK, but they were a bit iffy after that. I would listen to the angel...

Biscuitman said...

nice to see you back running and on the blogosphere!!

Moderate, consistent would be the way to go. Maybe try to get in shape to run a good 12k at City to Surf and re-assess from there?

Clown said...

Bergovski, good to see you out there running again.

Listen to that angel and get ready for the g. Don't give up on young swift just yet.