Sunday, June 14, 2009

Swine Flu!

Swine flu scare this week proved to be nothing to be concerned about (perhaps like the 'pandemic' itself) I tested some patients on Monday and was called later by the lab to say they came back positive for swine flu - luckily I had been wearing a mask when I plunged a swab into the deep recesses of their noses and throats.

On the running front - a good week. 99.3k@4:17

Monday 8.4k@4:39 - recovery
Tuesday 20.1k@4:01 - this was planned as a MP run. After last weeks 4:21 pace I decided to start faster than my usual 4:40s. On a perfect night I found myself in the zone and flying. At 15k I encountered Homo running the other way and as I stopped and we chatted I became aware of just how well I was going. I immediately picked up where I left off and powered home. It felt effortless at the time, but subsequently I developed a niggle in the left achilles which stayed all week

Wed 8.5k@4:24 - recovery
Thurs rest
Fri 11.3k@4:07 - did 2x1.5k intervals at 3:35 pace, but felt hampered by the achilles
Sat 11.95k@4:13
Sun 39k@4:24 - easy 8k before meeting Rob then we ran together about 20k at 4:20s or so. Pushed a couple of km at MP and then 2k 34-36k @4:05s then back to average pace for the last couple.

After my Canberra debacle I'm keeping expectations in check. This week 85k similar pace.

YTD 1999k@4:32

6 comments:

homo said...

As I said to you, I was tossing up whether to call you animal or speed demon. Seeing you fly past I go for the second.

Now just watch out for those niggles and make sure you get enough rest in the lead up and you'll be fine in three weeks' time (rhymes, too).

Sling Runner said...

Impressive. Your av training pace for the week almost equals to sub-3 pace. Tuesday's tempo run was mind-blowing, equates to 1:24 HM.

Perhaps you might want to consider stretching your goal a bit to 2:55?

DC64 said...

Excellent, sounds like you're in great shape. IMHO you should aim 2:58 at least, relax and enjoy yourself...

Clown said...

Exceptional week, well done. Will be happy to keep you in sight come July 5

Epi said...

Thanks guys,

Homo - perhaps the flying pig!

Sling - the 255 goal is just the kind of thing I dont want to lure myself into. My mara PB is still 3:14 so 2:59:59 would be great!

trailblazer777 said...

Now theres a blog title guarenteed to grab the attention...haha

Your pace is very impressive. Agree with Sugar sub 2.58 is in your reach, at least sub 3 has to be possible if that weeks training is a good indication, and you get it right on the day...

Dave Kennedy is aiming for sub 2.50 and although his training phisophy and focus is very different to yours, you'd have to be not far behind him at the moment, may even beat him, just as you beat nathan in 6 inch in december... sounds like best shape of your life so far stuff at the moment. Go for it!