Monday, June 01, 2009

Glass Half Full

I was definitely in the half empty camp the last two days, but a beautiful day today can only make me optimistic

The week started well, after my good Sunday run last week. The ankle was barely an issue and I started running a little on grass and less even surfaces

Mon 10.1k@ 4:35 recovery
Tues am 9k @ 4:25 with 3.5k tempo 4:00s
Tues pm 5x1k intervals 3:29/3:33/3:33/3:33/3:30 - 60sec walk recov, 2.25kw/up, 2k w/down

Wed 11.5k@4:08 - 6.5k then 2.5k@tempo 4:00 - 60sec between
Thurs 7.5k@4:37 recovery
Fri 10.2k@4:28

So at this point I had run 110k in the past 7 days with some good quality sessions thrown in
With 300m to go on Fri am I developed a sudden pain in my left lateral midfoot, such that I couldn't run. The rest of the day I was barely able to walk - couldnt transition from heel to forefoot and push off. The pain and tenderness was initially diffuse ,but since has localised to the cuboid bone and the base of the 5th metatarsal, which is where peroneus muscles insert.

Hopefully I have peroneus tendonitis, as the alternative, a stress fracture of the 5th MT, doesn't bear thinking about. i've since read that peroneal tendinitis often occurs in the context of recovery from sprained ankles - assumedly I've changed my gait to protect my ankle, and strained the other side of the foot in the process

From what I've read I should take a week off then gradually restart running. But that was never going to happen. I took Sat off, than tried a little jog Sunday am - lasting about 5k bafore stopping with the pain.

Today, I decided again against my better judgement, to go down to the Lake Gwelup funrun. Our practice is just down the road and were a sponsor. Bob&Tiffany from TBL were there as well, and I wasn't going to miss my chance to see real B grade celebrities in the flesh.

The run was one or two laps of the lake - 3k or 6k. Biscuitman was there, looking fit. We took off in a crowd of little kids and I got a bit caught up at the start. Coming up to the 3k in 11min flat just ahead of biscuitman, I decided the ache, although bearable, wasn't a good sign and I pulled out there ( I was also buggered). Perhaps I should have gone on because Biscuitman ran a great 2nd place in about 23:30 and the next runner was some way behind him, so I could probably have held onto third.

Having made it through the 3k, now with the foot up and iced, I'm a bit more optimistic. I'll probably get an XRay tomorrow just to exclude a fracture (as much as an XRay can), and then try running 5x10k or so during the week. I've got a feeling it wont be too bad, the fact it came on so suddenly makes me think it was an acute tear/strain, and thus should go quite quickly.

At least I have another injury to add to my collection - it makes a great difference when a patient comes in with a sports injury if I can say 'I've had that' - although I still advise them to be more conservative in their recovery than I am with myself.

6 comments:

homo said...

Keep filling that glass!

I suspect that if you had a fracture you would not have been running at all the last couple of days, so let's hope for the best.

Sling Runner said...

Hope it isn't a SF !

If you decide to run, try to run on smooth grass at slow pace. These short, easy runs should help you to mitigate the fitness loss during the rehab process.

Clown said...

Sounds a lot more promising than on Sat, especially seeing you were able to do 3k at a pretty quick rate today. Lets hope the improvement continues

The intervals session you did, was that at Perry Lakes?

Epi said...

Thanks guys,

homo/Sling, I'm pretty sure it's not a stress #, but it'll be nice to XRay to be safe.

Clown - No, I just ran back and forth on the straight flat bit of road near Steves

Biscuitman said...

Sorry you had to drop out today. Good luck with ongoing recovery - you're obviously in good shape if you can get injury free.

trailblazer777 said...

nice 1k times!!! all the best with the latest injury, the more experience you have with problems the better you can help others if you overcome. All the best with getting back at full capabilities.