Sunday, June 03, 2007

Good Week

Happy with this week in general. Increase the mileage - 100km in 8 days - not quite a 100k week but good enough.

Tues 18k in 4:37 average on hilly terrain
Thurs 12k in 4:28 average with tempo 8k section
Fri and Sat each 10k in 49 min

This morning 35.3k in 2:56.30 - on 5.00min/k pace as per sportstracks. Felt stiff and sore for the first hour (!) before loosening up. Took refill stop at 17k, 22k and 30k - didnt count these in the time - total less than5 minutes though.

Henry was cycling past at 25k and rode next to me for 3k or so for a chat - helped greatly at this crucial point.

Great thing was the even splits - fastest 5k 24:48 (30-35k) and slowest 25:16 (25-30k). Legs felt dead at the end but really could have pushed on for a little more. I ran nearly exactly the same distance at the same point last year in 5:15min/k, so feel I am still on track for my goal.

I really want to push on this week, avoid the temptation to taper for freo HM so I can prepare best for July.

Good to see Henry today, read of TB's ongoing long run preparations, and TS&TF back running after the honeymoon - running 7 days straight after a month off is impressive.

Thanks for the comment Rich, I must admit in my first year of running in 2005 I used TB's blog as a source of inspiration, and then in 2006 used TS&TFs for the same purpose - they are interesting to peruse as two very different approaches to training. If you dont read them yet, have a look. TBs link is with all his posts on WAMC messageboard, and The Slow &The Furious' I think is still linked from his Coolrunning posts.

4 comments:

WS said...

Solid sessions on both Tues and Thurs, especially after the 10k race on Sunday! You are better prepared for the marathon this year and I still think that you are better suited to longer distance races (HM & above). All the best.

homo said...

Boy - were you looking good when I rode with you - and talking at the same time. There's no question that you are going to smash 3:30 easily, the question is only by how much - looking at your progress 3:10 might be feasible.
I'm not sure whether doing the Freo HM without at least a bit of a taper (I'm just talking 3 or 4 days of low-intensity stuff) isn't going to be counter-productive. That depends on whether you are going to do it as a race proper or as a training run, say at marathon pace.
Whatever it is, looking forward to your updates.
PS. Get yourself a bike, it does wonders for sore legs. My experience is that a long ride after a hard effort loosens up the muscles without killing the joints (or then I'm just showing my age, eh? :-D)

Epi said...

Thanks guys! Did 12k today to make a 97k 7 day period - lets call it a 100k week.

Homo - good point. Think I'll drop the intensity wed-fri, add a 5-10k recovery on Sun and run it at 90% effort. That way I'll still do 80k for the week but also get an idea where I am pacewise.

trailblazer777 said...

Yeah I think 3.10-3.20 very likely the way you are going, if you keep improving at this rate, (and the further you go the harder it gets to maintain the improvement of course), then a sub 3 is probably a very real possibility by next year at the latest, and that is a much sought after achievement australia-wide...

I think Widi may be right the HM and the 42 your best races.
I agree with H also a bike is extremely useful especially with us almost senile injured over 30 blokes like me. seriously though crosstraining has a lot of training benefits, not found in running only.