Sunday, June 10, 2007

Freo Half '07

Interesting day! Course time finish 1:31, but ran better than last year when I did 1:27. How is this possible? Glad you asked -

1. Missed the start, crossing the start line at 30seconds after the gun
2. Then had to negotiate passing 300 people in 3km along a narrow bike path - lost more minutes
3. Course was adjusted this year, a good 400m longer than last year.

Splits confirm this - more on that later.

The week started well, made 100k in seven day period with Mon and Tues runs. Then developed a viral infection, with enforced taper that saw no running on Fri or Sat and only light 10ks on Wed and Thurs.

The virus didnt hit me too badly, unlike my wife who spent 2 days in bed, but after last years experience i decided discretion was the better part of valour and took it easy. Sat night felt good, and thought a solid HM was in order.

I woke 5 minutes before my alarm from a dream where I missed the start of the run! Arrived half an hour early and waited in the toilet line for 15minutes - with it moving only about 3 people in that time, and I was 10th in queue. So I jumped in the car and went down to Freo to use a toilet there. Pulled back in at 7:29, assuming the run would start a couple of minutes late. As I closed the car door I heard 3,2,1..Bang! I Sprinted to the start and hit the line 30 sec late.

For those who know the course it quickly narrows to a cycle path with no side space, so I was left walk/jogging forthe first 2k. Had to pass the entire field (bar those quicker than me) Started Garmin on the line, but it didnt pick up a signal for 500m or so. I followed my 1k paces from then on, as there weren't really km markers (course had changed so wasnt certain which km marks on the path were correct)

The 18 completed kms on Garmin were good though -

3-8k 20:43
8-13k 20:53
13-18k 21:09
18-21k 12:39
(overall average 4min12 pace)

My fastest 18k from last year totalled about a minute slower. Rob was about 150m ahead at the 4k mark, closed at one point to be 40m behind, then he pulled away to finish about 40 sec ahead of me. Was a good spur on to try and catch him.

I think uninterrupted I could have run 1:29 flat, similar pace to last years on a full course.

Cool down 3k with Rob. TB had a blister affected run unfortunately.

For the coming week I want to do some decent mileage - 90k would be fine, and will now probably run Perth32k with an enforced 5min/k fastest pace, running with Rob (?and Widi)

Pace setting for the mara becomes difficult. Theoretically 3:10 could be a target, but will prob head out for 1:37 half and see how the return goes (long way off yet)

Still hoping to have a repeat pre marathon carbo load dinner on the Friday before the marathon.You dont have to be running the marathon to attend. I'm open to options for location, as long as they serve Pasta. La Casetta again is solid if a little uninspiring. Romany in Northbridge is an italian restaurant institution, but I'm willing to try anywhere. Rob, Widi, Jon hope you guys can make it, think Homo might be in Europe. Open invitation to others.

4 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

yes the course change and the lack of markers make it harder to judge pace in this race.

I may front up for the 32, or I may go and do 32 in the hills instead on the trails, will probably be my last 30k+ long run before the marathon which I plan to be at if the baby allows me to.

will sort out shoe problem and will hopefully never put ducktape on shoe inserts ever again!

Another excellent half, and you r certainly capable of a 1.29 or better IMO now.

trailblazer777 said...

oh yeah I plan to be at the dinner for sure if baby allows (standard qualification now for me to do anything as the wife is due July 23rd, and the window for normal birth likely to be July 2nd to August 12th....)...

WS said...

Superb run! As I said, HM is probably the best distance for you given your training right now (lots of moderate pace distance runs). I think your plan for a 1:37 for the first 1/2 of Perth marathon is sensible. Re: dinner, I probably can make it on Thursday (fri-sun will be in Melbourne)

Rich said...

Great runing! ...it's a shame there were so many people you had to weave your way through at the beginning.

Though I won't be going in the marathon I might consider getting along to the dinner as it would be good to meet fellow local runners.