Sunday, May 27, 2007

Challenge 10k '07

Little while since last post.

Training has been OK, nothing great. Quality over quantity. There have been no recovery runs. 4 runs a week of long, tempo,interval or marathon pace.

Was keen to do Challenge, but my relative lack of long runs was a concern. So I ran 32k on Thursday night in a relatively fast 5:00min/km pace, giving me a couple of days to settle for Challenge.

As usual, couldn't avoid going out Saturday night - Bouchon Bistro in Wembley - I loved the French cuisine, wife and friends less impressed! I am yet to be converted by french red wines however - give me a Barossa Shiraz any day (although I suspect if I had the more expensive French reds it may be a different story)

The run ended up being very similar to my last years run, and to Bridges 10k. Fast start in 340, 352,404, 404, 407 to be under 20 at half way. Then faded to 413,404,414,411,404 for 40:33 10k by Garmin, 40:40 approx over finish line.

Easier effort than last year, but a little sad that I didn't hit the sub40, although it's still in my sights on a well prepared day.

Ahead- hopefully high mileage week this week, some reduction the following week pre Freo, one more week big km, then taper last 3 weeks. Marathon goal still 3:20.

2 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

judging by your splits, good solid even fast race. I also had a late saturday night. well done on the 32k thursday! by 10k times you and rob looking very good. looks like you have the long runs covered extremely well too. Ive made some progress in that dept in recent weeks. Still a long way to go for me in sharpening up my speed, although my 10k rep last week was a start, a few more weeks until taper time in earnest. looking forward to hopefully a good freo half, and a good pre-race dinner discussion like last year. hopefully deep in to 3 hr territory for several of us this year. hopefully that sub 40 10k penny will drop for you later this year also.

Rich said...

Heya. Well done on the Challenge run. It was my very first race and seeing the time you got to and the km's you have been dishing out recently is certainly inspirational to a newbie like me. Looking forward to seeing how things progress in the future.