Sunday, June 18, 2006

Sick!

Well the decision whether to run the Lake Monger 10k was made for me - came down with a viral infection on Friday. I tend to get one each year in early winter , then stay immune despite ongoing exposure.

Felt like death warmed up yesterday and overnight, but starting to come good today - wont run til tomorrow though.

So it will be a long taper, not necessarily by choice. I'd only done 30k Mon-Fri, planning a 25k saturdayy and 10k recovery today.

But I'll resist the temptation to make up the distance - stick to 50-60k this week with a 15k effort on the weekend, then 30-35k in the final week.

Will do the 3 day carbo load, and am working on my drinks plan. Entry form says something about getting drinks externally not being allowed - was going to have Dad hand me some at a couple of points. Might drop some off early to be on the drink stations and have him have some just in case I dont find mine on the table. I also think I'll cut down from my 600ml size bottle to a childrens juice type bottle, and use more. Gel strategy will also be thinking about - will take 3 I think - 1st halfway, second 30-45 min later, and a third if needed for the last 30 min. Finally the ipod - might try to borrow my sisters nano to use as its less bulky than my mini, and better battery. I've run well without ipod recently , but remembering the return straight next to the freeway, music may be necessary to push me through.

If any of the Perth guys who read this are interested in catching up for a pasta meal on the Friday or saturday, let me know. Wife is out of town and some conversation may ease my nerves.

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

Drinks strategy sounds good...
less than a week to go...