Sunday, June 11, 2006

Freo Half !!!



Quiet week training - 10k runs each of Tues to Fri, mixed sessions including two Progression runs up to 5k pace. HM today with some warm up made 65k week only.

Was jumping out of my skin on Sat night, full of nervous energy, even though I haven't really focussed on this one. Freo HM was my first race last year after 6 months training, keen to see improvement in 12 months.

Woke 5:15, wholemeal bread and honey, nervous stomach. Arrived 7am, realised I didnt bring a drink so jogged down the road to get a powerade. Ran with Pattstrap first km but came loose. Shin (anterior comp.) Pain first 6km gradually settled. Started too fast (as always) 3:59 then 4:11, 4:14, 4:15, 4:25 for 21:06 5k. Stayed a bit slow next 2km then was challenged by a few runners and went back to 4:15s to halfway. Dropped powerade at 7.5k to pick up on the way back. Ran faster and smoother without - may need to change my drink strategy in the mara.

Halfway 44:09 and I was thinking 4:25s would get me back in 1hr30. I was spurred on by Widi passing me and had a very even paced13-19k at 4:15s. Didnt quite sprint the end but was amazed to see 1:27:40 at the line. My Garmin showed 20.68kms and I was expecting to just dip under 1:30.

Not sure how short it was but cant believe I had a 1:27:xx in me - aims of maybe 1:32 seemed to fit my form.

Great to see TB out and about again (not that I recognised you without the standard top and cap) - not challenging me this year thanks to his injury woes but pushed through impressively.

So now- Lake Monger or not? How many kms - 65/55/35?What to aim for the Mara -3:20 pace? Some thinking needed this week.

1-5k 21:06
5-10k 21:30
10-15k 21:24
15-20k 21:14

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

HUGE congrats Epi! Well Done!...

Lake Monger; go for it! its a nice course..anything up to 15km as a time trial is fine at this stage in my opinion, as long as its not in the last 2-6 days before the Marathon....the only real issue is if the ITB stays good or not.would not want that to flare up too much b4 the big one...

Looks like N will be going sub 3.30 also (Rotto Marathon 2004&six Inch last year) he did 1.28 for the Freo Half....

I'm hoping for a fast improvement curve for Perth...butas always we shall see...